We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kathmandu

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
reviews: 2
Kathmandu

I'm going to Kathmandu on Sunday as a volunteer to work in a school for a month. The weather forecast looks bad, but is the heavy rain just intermittent short showers, or is it likely to last all day?

Also is the flight to see Everest & the Himalayas worth the money? I'm assuming there is no flight unless it's clear?

I'll have the weekends free - any ideas?

Thanks

Val

Kathmandu, Nepal
1. Re: Kathmandu

Hi

the rainy season will be over in just about 2 weeks. Yes, it has been raining heavily in the last several days but it is at the tail end of Monsoon. I would say it is intermittent but mostly all night long and also in the late afternoon as well.

I recommend going on the everest flight towards the end of your one month here in Nepal so the weather will be more favourable.

You may do the following activities during yuour free weekends:

1. Mountain Biking -

2. Short hikes to the surrounding mountains

3. Trip to pokhara to enjoy the lake district

4. Yoga and meditation to Kopan Monastry

5. rafting

6. Bird watching trip around kathmandu valley

7. Indoor climbing wall

8. etc etc

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
reviews: 88
2. Re: Kathmandu

The forecast on

www.timeanddate.com/weather/nepal/kathmandu

doesn't look too bad: probably the last throws of the monsoon ?

The Mountain Flight is good (and doesn't operate in poor weather), but is expensive. Perhaps as an alternative you might consider flying to Pokhara for a weekend and enjoying the chilled-out atmosphere of the place. You'd get great mountain views on the way.

Exploring Kathmandu will take some time, and I'd recommend visiting Bhaktapur as well, again perhaps staying overnight as it's a magical place, particularly once the day-trippers have gone.

Consider going to Nagarkot for a night to watch sunset and sunrise over the mountains.

Oxford, United...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Kathmandu

Hi Sunil & Alanyeti,

Thanks for the speedy & helpful replies. Sounds as if you both know & love the place.

Val

4. Re: Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:07 am, September 24, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 137
5. Re: Kathmandu

good adivce from Alanyeti and Sunil

if you take out the visibility part

rain showers are a blessing in ktm in my view

keeps the dust and smoke down - as you will see

in this super polluted valley which used to be prestine not too long ago

to get the feel for what everest flight is like

go to youtube, search for key word "everest flight buddha air" etc.

and browse through some videos there

you will get the gist - little pricey if you ask me

but if one has the dream to see everest upclose

w/o the hassle of treks or trips to hill stations this is the way to go

if you are free on weekend hiking, mountain biking and short rafting excursions to sunkosi and trishuli might be it - along with things Sunil dude listed above

although trip to PKR an a weekend would be a stretch even you if fly both ways

my favorite thing around KTM is to go hiking on the hills surrounding the valley

here's a link to the blog of a hike i recently did - most of which can be done with mountain bike as well

…blogspot.com/2012/08/ktm-valley-nagarkot-dh…

good luck

Edited: 1:42 am, September 15, 2012
Kathmandu, Nepal
6. Re: Kathmandu

Val,

There are a lot of activities you can do in Kathmandu on weekends. It really depends of your appetite. Besides the adventureous stuff I mentioned above, you may also do things like

Learn how to cook like locals

Learn Nepali Language

visit various pilgrimage sites

or even try a game of golf up in Gokarna.

You will not run out of things to do in Nepal for months. Tell me your interests and I might suggest you more activities.

Kathmandu, Nepal
7. Re: Kathmandu

RAMA,

you need to read the community guidelines before you post on this forum. Please respect the guidelines.

Kathmandu, Nepal
8. Re: Kathmandu

Dear Sir,

Regret to inform you that actually do not know the guidelines...please clarify ...thanks for your help

9. Re: Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 26, 2013