We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days Kathmandu in mid August. Recommended??

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
muscat
8 days Kathmandu in mid August. Recommended??

Hi everyone,

Is it still worth visiting Kathmandu on 16-23 August, despite that its the rainy season? What will my activities restricted to? What will be a more convenient way to visit the country? By tour operators?

Appreciate your reply. Thanks.

Cheers,

Eric Li

1. Re: 8 days Kathmandu in mid August. Recommended??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, June 10, 2012
2. Re: 8 days Kathmandu in mid August. Recommended??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, June 10, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 136
3. Re: 8 days Kathmandu in mid August. Recommended??

You could still see a lot in 8 days. What you may not be able to do is go on a trekking or see mountain vistas due to the monsoon season. You could visit KTM, PKR and Chitwan. You could visit the temples and palace squares in KTM, go to a Safari in Chitwan and chill out by the lake side in PKR. If just in case it clears up you could do an ultra-light flight in PKR to see the Himalayas. If this is your first time to Nepal – tour operators may be the way to go – since you don’t want to spend lot of your valuable time while you are there researching and planning for the trips.

Edited: 10:15 pm, June 09, 2012
Denmark
reviews: 14
4. Re: 8 days Kathmandu in mid August. Recommended??

The weather is most likely to be hot and rainy...but it does not rain all the time.

Trekking is not an obvious option due to the monsoon, but since you have only short time in Nepal it would have been very limited anyway.

The mountain views...hmm if you see them you are lucky. But it can happen.

But all the rest is there....the culture, the temples, the monastries.

As neupaneaj also mention, you might want to organize through a tour organizer. And since it is out of season you should be able to get good prices by the local tour agencies and in the hotels.

Kathmandu, Nepal
5. Re: 8 days Kathmandu in mid August. Recommended??

You May visit Kathmandu and Pokhara trip only and there is enough time to explore both cities.

muscat
6. Re: 8 days Kathmandu in mid August. Recommended??

Thank you very much guys, I understand that its not the best season, neither do i have enough time to visit the entire country. I will still go for it as i've heard that there will be lots of festivals and events happening in August.

7. Re: 8 days Kathmandu in mid August. Recommended??

Hi,

It is indeed rainy season and there is some inconveniences rather than restrictions. Indeed a time full of festivals and great time to enjoy the rich cultural heritage of Nepal. For the Himalayas go for the mountain flight and you have a pretty high chances of having a nice panoromic view. On the other hand don't go to Chitwan, hot and humid with low animal visibility due to tall grass and restricted activities.

Rather enjoy Kathmandu and Pokhara with ample time.

Uttam Sapkota

Annapurna Excursion

Kathmandu
8. Re: 8 days Kathmandu in mid August. Recommended??

Namaste Eric,

Stay in the Kathmandu valley to visit all the world heritage sites and fly to Pokhara to avoid 2 days by bus in and out.

If you need a detailed route, please contact mpe by PM.

Cheers

s:D

Kathmandu, Nepal
reviews: 1
9. Re: 8 days Kathmandu in mid August. Recommended??

Hi everyone,

Is it still worth visiting Kathmandu on 16-23 August, despite that its the rainy season? What will my activities restricted to? What will be a more convenient way to visit the country? By tour operators?

Appreciate your reply. Thanks.

Cheers,

Eric Li

Dear Eric

Namaste and warm Welcome from Adventure Himalayan Travels!!!

While regarding your tour in Nepal on the date of 16-23 August, 2012.it’s the rainy season in Nepal but little bit less than the before so I may suggest you to do the sightseeing at Katmandu valley, and Pokhara could be explore the real nature in your door step with the smiling Himalayan views and the lake,visit around Pokhara and getting to know sunrise views tour at Sarangkot where you can see the very close views like Annapurna /Dhaulagir/Fishtail as well as Pokhara valley views. It’s the reall natural tour during your visit and then back to Kathmandu. While arriving at Kathamdnu drive to Nagarkot Stay overnight with enchanting views of the great Himalayan ranges like:-Langtang Ranges,Langtang Lirung,Gosainkund,Kanchenjunga Ranges as well as many others in your accommodating place. You can see sunset and surise at the place. Drive back to Kathmandu . Leisure day for your shopping or…

I hope as above idea is up to your satisfaction.

If you have any further .. please let me know ..

With Regards

Ramchandra

Adventure Himalayan Travels

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
reviews: 260
10. Re: 8 days Kathmandu in mid August. Recommended??

In the summer mountains are everywhere covered by clouds...so I cannot suggest to a visitor to ho to see annapurna in pokhara or ganesh himal and langtang from nagarkot...I can suggest to visit the cultural sites of nepal, the rural villages to see how people live, to learn about the ancient traditions, I suggest to visit the temples. In agugust this year there're many festivals, in these occasions visitors can partecipate with local people, and the can have unforgettable experience of real Nepal

In the summer is not season for mountains...it's season for cultural and antropologic visits ;-)