We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appropriate remittence for a guide in Kathmandu

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
Appropriate remittence for a guide in Kathmandu

I will be in Kathmandu for 2 days, but the guide I contacted would not quote a price. The culture norm seems to be " I will accept whatever you think is appropriate " Does anyone have experience with the cost of guides? One day in Kathmandu and one dayin Nagakot. Thank You

1. Re: Appropriate remittence for a guide in Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:34 pm, October 23, 2008
california
2. Re: Appropriate remittence for a guide in Kathmandu

Thank you so much for your help.

3. Re: Appropriate remittence for a guide in Kathmandu

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:34 pm, October 23, 2008
Dallas, TX
reviews: 23
4. Re: Appropriate remittence for a guide in Kathmandu

There is also the option of coordinating with a tour company. This is what I did. The company made all the arrangements, made valuable additional suggestions, and then paid my travel guide for me from the funds I paid to the travel company.

I invite you to Private Message me if you'd like info on the travel company.

San Diego
reviews: 3
5. Re: Appropriate remittence for a guide in Kathmandu

Just got back from KTM and Pokhara and trekking with my 5 kids. Yeah, tips are a big thing there, and you're right - they're all "whatever you want to give," but even the beggars seem disappointed if you don't give enough!!! Our guide was awesome, and took care of everything for us for 16 days. However, I think about 1000 to 1200 rupees a day would be fine. That's like $20 to 25 a day I think.

6. Re: Appropriate remittence for a guide in Kathmandu

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 5:20 am, October 02, 2009