We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothes to wear

Which Nepal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Izegem, Belgium
reviews: 27
Clothes to wear

We are coming to Nepal for the First time and I have a problem on what we should (& allowed )to wear. To respect the dress code from it land en people. We are staying in Kathmandu (6 days) going to Chitwan Jungle ,Lumbini and Pokhara.

I hear that men better wear long pants and a T-shirt.(Bermudas should not be worn?)

For women Long pants, long skirt and blouses with a long or short sleeve. Are Bermudas allow for women?

11 replies to this topic
Espoo
1. Re: Clothes to wear

Loose fitting light clothes with covered shoulders. Capri length pants are OK for both men and women.

Long sleeve shirts and long pants for Terai evenings (Chitwan & Lumbini): mosquitos.

Loose, long skirts are quite comfortable for the womenfolk. Check macabiskirts.com .

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Kathmandu, Nepal
reviews: 13
2. Re: Clothes to wear

Hello,

It's not something allowed or not allowed, it's only about respecting traditions here. What you have included in your post is pretty sufficient. Bermudas are fine to wear for both man and woman. Generally, if your cloths don't reveal too much of your body then shouldn't worry about them!

Izegem, Belgium
3. Re: Clothes to wear

Are Bermudas just above the knee O.K.?

Thank you for the answers

Denmark
reviews: 14
4. Re: Clothes to wear

It is more a matter of respect than accept.

No matter what you wear it will be accepted, but if shoulders and knees are covered and your clothes ain't too tight, you will just get better treated than if you don't care. People will be polite no matter what, but they will be friendly, openminded and openhearted too, if you dress respectfully towards local culture.

Izegem, Belgium
5. Re: Clothes to wear

My wife has heard about these Macabi skirts , but her Question is where can you Buy them? Can you buy them in Kathmandu? Thank you

Espoo
6. Re: Clothes to wear

They are mail order only, from macabiskirts.com

Minneapolis, MN
reviews: 15
7. Re: Clothes to wear

We are in Nepal right now, and I have my two macabi skirts with me. They have been my mainstay during the trip. Mine have traveled all over the world with me and are about five years old, and thus are a good investment. I also have some pants that unzip to capris but have not once unzipped them during this trip (we've been in India for three weeks and Nepal for a week). The long pants are nice to have for cooler evenings.

I wouldn't wear Bermudas here in this culture because I would not feel comfortable with my knees exposed. I have some three quarter sleeve loose blouses and feel that these are a good idea. They protect from the sun and are modest.If you have any clothing that is sun protectant, that is a good idea to bring because the sun is quite strong here. A good sun hat is also going to be needed.

My husband has only worn long pants thus far other than one time when just sitting around our lodging he wore a pair of capri length pants he has. Also, many Nepali men wear real shirts all the time for any occasion rather than just t shirts.

Hope this helps.

Minneapolis, MN
8. Re: Clothes to wear

One more tip: bring skirts or trousers that are tan colored rather than dark colored. The dust is terrible, and it won't show as much on lighter colored clothes.

Minneapolis, MN
9. Re: Clothes to wear

We are trying to plan our trip to Chitwan, and I though of you when I saw this on the website of one of the lodges we are considering visiting.

"Please respect the people and their privacy. We kindly ask you no to enter a house uninvited and to respect the dress-code when visiting a village by covering your shoulders and knees."

Edited: 7:09 am, March 18, 2014
Izegem, Belgium
10. Re: Clothes to wear

Thanks for the good advice

Reply to: Clothes to wear
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted