We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bathing at Teahouses

Which Nepal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Bathing at Teahouses

Hi again,

What is it like to take showers while Teahouse trekking? Do people shower at all? Do we need to take our own towels? Any other advice on this....

Thanks,

Alison

Washington DC...
1. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

Hi Alison

I did ABC + Poon Hill in December 12. It was a 9 day trek so it was busy. It was VERY cold by the time we got to the tea houses in the evening - so I bathed only twice. Baths in the mornings were out of question due to cold. When they say "hot shower" it is barely warm water - especially in December. Used wet wipes couple of other times (that was way too cold too). And the rest of the times didn't bother - but I am a guy :-).

You will need your own towel, soap etc. I had a good synthetic absorbing towel that worked great (from REI). It packed lite and dried me well. If you are going to take a pillow I highly recommend rei.com/product/719843/therm-a-rest-compress… It packs well and its a great pillow. I still use it back at home every night. I like it that much.

Anyways, if you are going in a warmer weather it may be different. And you may be tempted to bath everyday - which I would do if it was not cold.

If you need more info, drop me a note - I'd be happy to share all my experiences.

Kalpesh

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 155
2. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

If pepole don't wanna take a bath that's their prerogative - but almost all lodges have a provision for a hot shower - some will charge a small fee - because they have to heat the water with LPG cylinders - which are brought in from the plains in donkey, yak or humans back. Few lodges even provide towel but most don't - better to bring your own.

New Delhi, India
3. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

Hi Alison,

I have taken a shower almost daily in my EBC and AC treks. Some upper end lodges (like in Namche Bazaar) have attached bathroom/toilet. At most other locations, its a shared shower room. Yes, u have to pay extra to use the shared shower room (pretty nominal extra fee). Pls bring ur own towel, soap, shampoo, etc.

Nothing like a relaxing shower at the end of a trekking day !!!!

- manish

Cumbria
reviews: 12
4. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

Taking showers gets more expensive the higher and further away from the trailhead you get, also the temperature tends to significantly drop making bathing an uncomfortable experience so most trekkers therefore don’t bathe as often as the normally would.

Another strange phenomenon is that people don’t tend to sweat so much when trekking in Nepal and as long as you are wearing good technical underwear you don’t get smelly – So if I were you then I wouldn’t worry about it and join the majority of the great unwashed ;-)

Good Luck

Rob

Bangkok, Thailand
5. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

an everest summter en-route to EBC once said to me "AJ don't worry - we will all stink together" haha..................i would have taken his advice but as you have heard from the expert panel here - water is available throughout the trail pretty much all they way to EBC, ABC - may be not scalding hot but luke warm for sure!!! so let's not stink up the holy trails or high heavens - let's shower daily and spread good karma!!!

one more comment - i would be against taking shower on the trail if they were using firewood which could contribute to deforestation. but not only its banned in national park now - all the lodges have figured out that it is far more convineient and cheaper to buy lpg on the lower plains, pay either a four legged or two legged to bring up the trail (providing livelohood to either) and use that to heat water. works for me!!!

Edited: 5:38 am, February 23, 2013
Tampa, Florida
6. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

Thanks!! Glad to know I need a towel. ;)

Do I need to bring my own pillow too?

Bangkok, Thailand
7. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

yup - pillow, mattress, blanket, lawn mower (john deer kind...........)

and don't forget the kitchen sink. haha....................

the best inflatable pillow i have found in Thamel btw.

New Delhi, India
8. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

LOL

I am sure, u have realized that neupaneaj above is being funny in his above mentioned post :-)))

Alison, U hav'nt mentioned which trek u are doing, or when.

If u are doing the EBC or AC treks, the teahouse will provide u a room with two single beds, matteress, bed sheet, blankets and pillow. Its a pretty simple and clean room. Generally, I use my silk sleeping bag liner to sleep in, with the teahouse's blankets. BUT, I do carry my sleeping bag too ... as a precaution.

cheers,

- manish

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 12
9. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

After I left Namche, I did not take showers, this was April and somewhat cold. I did purchase a large thermos of hot water from the kitchen, and asked for a bowl. Wet wipe towels were great as well. Get a good towel that dries quickly, it seems the higher you go things take longer. By the time I reached the upper levels, I washed my face, hands and lower parts. I was filthy, my clothes too, it would have to wait until went down; you will reach a point to where you no longer care. One thing , I wished I had brought a second pillow case, the linens are fine, but I prefer to lay my face on something familiar. Looking at my white pillow case with all of the dirt from my washed face, told me I won't get a good scrubbing until I get to KTM. There is only so much hot water.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
reviews: 264
10. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

Dear Aliwat, you have to bring your towels with you and also a good sleeping bag. The tea houses and lodges are really basic, normally they provides you a room with 2 beds inside with mattress, pillows and blankets, nothing more.

I usualy disagree with the use of hot showers during trekking. In Himalaya there're big problems with deforestations and pollutions. If needs it can be enough to ask for a little basin with boiled water to wash feet, armpits and private parts ;-) anyway in most of the lodges it's possible to have shower (water is little warm, not hot, and the cost is from 200 to 300 nepali rupees)

Edited: 3:15 am, February 28, 2013