We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nepal Trip Duration?

Which Nepal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hallandale
reviews: 108
Nepal Trip Duration?

I am planning a trip to Nepal this Fall. In order to hit the top sights, how much time should I allot for my visit? Also, what should I budget per day, in US $, in order to stay somewhere comfortable but not ritzy?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 144
1. Re: Nepal Trip Duration?

Hi there,

Without trekking: only three main areas (Kathmandu valley, Pokhara area and Chitwan) taking in total 10 days. With trekking: as long as you like, now also lots of extra areas become relevant like EBC and the far West. However this 10-day triangle can be done by car, the further areas require domestic flights.

Accomodation isn't that expensive, for a 3-star hotel assume something like USD 80-90/night for a double BB.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Kathmandu,Nepal
reviews: 6
2. Re: Nepal Trip Duration?

Hi there,

At first, heartily Welcome to the land of Himalaya country. I would like to thank you very much for chosen to visit Nepal and interested in.

there are so many places to visit in Nepal with different activities where mostly no one feels bored/bad. Culture/pilgrims tour, trekking/hiking with adventure, altitude, Rafting,wildlife safari... and remote trekking where you need special permit $500 for 10 days...

Normally, people used there time in Nepal a week to 2/3 weeks or more...

There are some trekking region which is most popular trekking in Nepal { in the world} "Everest base camp trekking, needs approximately two weeks, cost US $ 25/30 for just your food and accommodation & flight tickets/guide/porter plus... and also mini everest tre {everest view trek about a week}, Annapurna Panorama, it is known Ghorepani/poon hill trek, needs a week, cost 20/25... Upper Mustang, needs special permit at least for 10 days {for sp permit $500 & + $ 50 perday, and need to be at least two person..}

feel free and leave me a Pm because you know it's not allowed details price to quoted...

Guide

Cumbria
reviews: 12
3. Re: Nepal Trip Duration?

I would say that you have posted a difficult question to answer – I have been to Nepal 9 times so far with an average trip duration of around 2 months with trip number 10 planned in 7 weeks and I feel that I have barely scratched the surface – So my answer would be “Go for as long as you can, there is Lots to do and see”

Budgets really depend on what you do, where you stay, what sort of transport you use (Internal flights, private cars or local busses)

My own budget usually works out at around $50 per day to include everything, staying at reasonable hotels, eating good food, varying transportation and of course trekking.

If you wish to browse the tips sections and travelogues on this link

members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

I have written up a lot of my personal experiences Including landing at Kathmandu, how to get through customs and immigration Quickly, some ideas on Trekking, where to stay, eat, things to see and do + some tips on transport

I think that you might find them useful

Good Luck and Happy Travels

Rob

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
reviews: 76
4. Re: Nepal Trip Duration?

It's so difficult question to answer. The total duration depends on what you are planning to do. I would say about 2 weeks for the first time. Like Kathmandu 2 days, Pokhara 2 days, trekking probably to Ghorepani for 5 days, Chitwan 3 days. That should allow you to taste main course of Nepal with no difficulties. Here is a simple plan:

Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu and go to Hotel

Day 02: Explore Kathmandu valley

Day 03: Explore Bhaktapur, Patan and back to Hotel in Kathmandu

Day 04: Drive to Pokhara, transfer to Hotel

Day 05: Drive to Nayapul, trek to TIkhedhunga or Ulleri

Day 06: Trek to Ghorepani

Day 07: Hike to Poon Hill in the morning, come back to teahouse and trek to Tadapani

Day 08: Trek to Ghandruk

Day 09: Trek to Nayapul, drive to Pokhara

Day 10: Explore places of Pokhara

Day 11: Drive to Chitwan

Day 12: Jungle safari in Chitwan

Day 13: Drive back to Kathmandu

Day 14: Return home

In Kathmandu and Pokhara you can find very low budget to comfortable resorts. The prices always depends on the quality of resort and it's popularity. I would say about US$ 50 - 60 per night should allow you to have comfortable stay both in Kathmandu and Pokhara. There will be many options for you. The price is for double room but includes no foods. In Chitwan you if pay about US$ 150 - 200 you will have fine accommodation with foods and jungle activities included.

For trekking if you take a guide and a porter then it will be about US$ 70 - 75 per day including salary of your guides and porters plus your foods and accommodation. The salary of guides and porters will also include their foods, accommodation and insurances. You may need to buy trekking permits too which is extra and one time paid.

All the best!

5. Re: Nepal Trip Duration?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:08 am, August 26, 2013
6. Re: Nepal Trip Duration?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 14, 2014