We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangladesh to Bhutan Road Trip Via India

Which Bhutan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dhaka City...
reviews: 12
Bangladesh to Bhutan Road Trip Via India

Can someone please inform me on Bangladesh - Bhutan by road tour;

1. What is the name of the border and the border district in Bangladesh, India & Bhutan?

2. How long does it take to go to Paro/ Thimpu from the Bhutan border? What is the transport medium & cost?

3. How to travel between paro and thimpu

4. How many days are good enough to visit these 2 cities including travelling time?

5. What could be per person cost for travelling if stayed in 1 star hotel, travel by bus and taxi?

29 replies to this topic
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
reviews: 76
1. Re: Bangladesh to Bhutan Road Trip Via India

Hello Roktim,

Welcome to Bhutan forum!

I can not answer all your questions because the rules for you and for me to visit Bhutan is different. I guess for SAARC nationals the rules are different than other nationals.

For enough time to see around Paro and Thimpu, I would recommend about a week for you. To see the main sights of these places and to connect between these two cities about a week should be enough. I am sure that you won't be in rush.

Again for me the cost was fixed on day basis. For Nationals except from SAARC countries Bhutan has daily compulsory rates. I think it won't be applicable for Bhutanese citizens. May be other members in the forum will write back to your later.

Good Luck!

Dhaka City...
reviews: 17
2. Re: Bangladesh to Bhutan Road Trip Via India

Hi Roktim, first, you need to get a double entry visa for India. The Bhutanese visa you can get on arrival. Rhythm_D is right that the rules are different for SAARC countries - but only for Indians and Bangladeshis. Anyway, you would need to cross the border into India at Burimari, then go to Jaigaon (border town with Bhutan). You get your entry visa for Bhutan at Phuentshoeling, and then hire a vehicle to go to Thimphu (this drive will take around 6 hours). You need to mention what towns you will be visiting when you obtain the Bhutanese visa, and if you want to go to anywhere other than Paro and Thimphu, you will need to apply for a permit in Thimphu (takes a couple of hours). There are normal buses for travel between Thimphu and Paro, but to travel to places like Punakha and Trongsa, you will need a permit and a Bhutanese driver/guide. You will need to take the overnight bus from Dhaka to Burimari, cross border and go to Siliguri, and from there get a bus or other vehicle for Jaigaon. Altogether, nine days should be enough. Bhutan is a beautiful country and I am sure you will love it. Good luck.

Dhaka City...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Bangladesh to Bhutan Road Trip Via India

Dear Dhaka Dweller,

Thanks a lot for your detail feedback. Few more things, can't I take taxi directly from Burimari border to Jaigaon or do I have to go to Shiliguru? If I cross the burimari border as early as the gate open in the morning, at what time I will be arriving at Bhutan border if travel by taxi and how much does it take?

Regards.

Dhaka City...
4. Re: Bangladesh to Bhutan Road Trip Via India

Hi Roktim, taxis were not so readily available at the Burimari border a few years back, but you might get lucky, and anyway the bus is Dhaka-Siliguri. What I would suggest is that after crossing the border you quickly check if there are taxis available for Jaigaon, and if so, tell the bus people that you are disembarking there instead of going to Sliguri. And you need to check with the bus people what time you need to be at Siliguri for the return trip. If you decide to travel from Jaigaon to Burimari directly, then you need to tell the bus people that too so they don't wait for you at Siliguri. At the border the bus company people will help with customs and immigration. You may need to pay a small 'boder fee' at both sides. Good luck.

dhaka
reviews: 3
5. Re: Bangladesh to Bhutan Road Trip Via India

Dear Dhaka_Dweller thanks for your detail info. i wanted to know what type of indian visa needed to go to Bhutan form Dhaka. You only told double entry visa for India in your reply. Is it tourist visa or transit visa? Please reply

Chittagong, null...
reviews: 36
6. Re: Bangladesh to Bhutan Road Trip Via India

I need some information about going Bhutan by air.

Dhaka City...
7. Re: Bangladesh to Bhutan Road Trip Via India

Druk Air has three flights weekly between Dhaka and Paro. And for overland travel, one would need a double entry transit visa for India, which allows 3-days stay in India each time.

Thimphu, Bhutan
8. Re: Bangladesh to Bhutan Road Trip Via India

Hello,

1. What is the name of the border and the border district in Bangladesh, India & Bhutan?

The road trip from dhaka to bhutan border phuntsholing is like 24hours. You have to pass via india border. Toll booth charges are included. so i guess you would be paying almost the same amount upon reaching thimphu including your car maintainence cost, fuel price and fooding price upon traveling via road. So i suggest you catch a flight from dhaka to paro. approx 1 hour flight.

2. How long does it take to go to Paro/ Thimpu from the Bhutan border? What is the transport medium & cost?

from phuntsholing to thimphu is approx 5 to 6 hours journey. transport medium you can get Toyota Coaster Bus. Booking has to avail before 2days to make sure you get the tickets. You need to make pass permit from pling border upon entering Bhutan Border

3. How to travel between paro and thimpu

paro and thimphu you can travel via taxi which cost you Nu, 1800.

4. How many days are good enough to visit these 2 cities including travelling time?

5 days are enough to visit this two places

5. What could be per person cost for travelling if stayed in 1 star hotel, travel by bus and taxi?

hotel is Nu, 1600 to Nu. 2000

taxi Nu. 1800 ( for 4 person)

fooding ( Nu, 800 per day apprx)

I would suggest you to making your tour through Tour operator. As they shall fix all your requirement according to your budget which include Hotel, Car hiring and food. Car hiring is as follow

Nu. 16 to Nu. 18 per km if km reading is above 100km

Nu. 1600 to Nu. 1800 if the km reading is less than 100km

BSP Tours

Hong Kong, China
9. Re: Bangladesh to Bhutan Road Trip Via India

Hello,

I need few information to visit Bhutan by road. Actually, while filling the Indian visa application, I got some queries.

Can anyone tell me the below information are correct for Indian transit Visa to visit Bhutan?

Type of Visa: TRANSIT VISA

Travelling to another country after India? If yes click the box and give the details

Name of Country: BHUTAN

Do you have visa or resident permit of that country? If yes click the box

Duration of Visa (in days) : 30

No. of Entries: DOUBLE

Purpose of visit: Tourism

Port of Arrival in India: BY ROAD CHANGRABANDHA

Port of Exit from India: BY ROAD JAIGAON

Thanks in advance.

Dhaka City...
10. Re: Bangladesh to Bhutan Road Trip Via India

anybody traveling from dhaka to nepal in march 2014 by road?

Reply to: Bangladesh to Bhutan Road Trip Via India
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted