We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gorilla/chimp treking in Uganda

Which Kampala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Labadie, Missouri
reviews: 82
Gorilla/chimp treking in Uganda

Hi

My daughter works with the great apes, and it is her fondest wish to see gorillas and chimps in the wild. We are planning a trip to Uganda, but are confused by the number of travel companies offering gorilla treks. Could someone recommend a company? (Or tell us ones to stay away from!)

Thanks

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 199
1. Re: Gorilla/chimp treking in Uganda

Kabarole Tours in Fort Portal are reliable. I have both them and

Churchill All Africa Safaris without real problems.

One or two freelance birders have their own transport.

Volcanoes and Kitandara tours are also reliable.

go soon.

Berlin
2. Re: Gorilla/chimp treking in Uganda

I have been to Uganda on a 17 days tour with Abacus African vacations(www.abacusvacations.com).These guys are professional and their packeages are real not expensive compared to many tour operators. I first contacted several tour operators but zeroed on this company and really enjoyed the safari with them. I disturbed them with so many questions and they repplied with alot of patience and information.The guide I used Paul was superb at birds,animals and ugandan culture.Try them.

The gorillas was indeed the heighlight of my safari.I tracked them twice that is inBwindi and then crossed to Congo side and also saw them again.

Berlin
3. Re: Gorilla/chimp treking in Uganda

I have just been to Uganda on a 17 days tour with Abacus African vacations(www.abacusvacations.com).These guys are professional and their packeages are real not expensive compared to many tour operators. I first contacted several tour operators but zeroed on this company and really enjoyed the safari with them. I disturbed them with so many questions and they repplied with alot of patience and information.The guide I used Paul was superb at birds,animals and ugandan culture.Try them.

The gorillas was indeed the heighlight of my safari.I tracked them twice that is inBwindi and then crossed to Congo side and also saw them again.

kampala
4. Re: Gorilla/chimp treking in Uganda

Hello,

i work in Kampala, a lot of travel agencies are situated in the same street and offer the same tours, thinking the white man has millions of dollars to spend. Look for a reliable price-quality agency with good guides. I can recommend Brovad Tours and Travel. They're located in the Communications House on the ground floor ( the big skyscraper with the fang fang restaurant)

good luck!

San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 55
5. Re: Gorilla/chimp treking in Uganda

I went on 4 gorilla treks this past July.

2 in Rwanda and 2 in Uganda.

Much preferred Rwanda, if you have a choice.

While the difficulty of the trek is ultimately dependent on where your gorilla family is on the given day...we found Rwanda's to be much easier trekking (still hard, but not as long or as steep of terrain). And, the viewing was much clearer. Might have been the luck of our draw.

We used Abercrombie & Kent and The Far Horizons to do all of our arrangements and all went off without a hitch. Wonderful guides and good places to stay. (abercrombiekent.com and thefarhorizons.com).

We stayed at Gorilla Forest Camp in Uganda - it was a very nice tented camp with excellent meals & service.

While in Uganda, they also arranged for us to spend some time on Ngamba Island Chimpanzee sanctuary. Your daughter may be familiar with it. An easy day trip...or if you're really into it, they have tents so a few guests can stay overnight (but be warned you need a lot more vaccinations than normal to do this). There is a website for Ngamba, but I can't recall exact site.

I've posted our gorilla pictures at www.gorillas.shutterfly.com - most were taken in Rwanda, but final few were from Uganda.

We had an absolutely fabulous time (4 women in our 50's/60's).

Go and enjoy every minute.

Germany
reviews: 1
6. Re: Gorilla/chimp treking in Uganda

I have heard so many positive feedbacks reference gorilla tracking in Bwindi National park and have booked to go early 2008 with Explore Worldwide. I have travelled with them to Borneo to see the Urangutans and turtles and had a wonderful experience with lovely people. Very much looking forward to seeing the gorillas (hopefully) and would appreciate any feedback from travellers who have experienced this kind of tour!

Wendy

Livingston, New...
reviews: 3
7. Re: Gorilla/chimp treking in Uganda

We used Travelust, a Ugandan owned company. I compared the high end to low end trips and found that they all used the same accommodations. The only difference is that the higher end groups flew you by charter plane from one place to the other.

While incredibly bumpy and potholed, traveling the roads gave us an opportunity to see the people and the land (and the mud) but thats what I like. All the places that we stayed had showers and toilets , but limited electricity, so bring a head lamp. Travelust gave us the best bang for our somewhat limited buck and I would recommend them if you want a supervised/organized tour in a not too new, but functional toyotal land cruiser.

Also, supporting any business run by a Ugandan gave us a nice warm fuzzy feeling. Us: 4 women ranging in age from eary 30's to early 60's

kla
8. Re: Gorilla/chimp treking in Uganda

Thanxs for yr msg

kla
9. Re: Gorilla/chimp treking in Uganda

Thanxs for yr msg

Chicago
10. Re: Gorilla/chimp treking in Uganda

Hi every one. Thank for posts here. I just come back on safari to Uganda and the posts here helped me and my workmates arrange our safari. I agree with annergizer, Travelust was a good company though I would also add African secrets <a href="www.safarisgorillas.com">Uganda safari company</a> as they treated our other workmates with utter gentleness, patience and we wished the whole group had actually booked with them. Maybe some other time, we shall go on a Ugandan safari with them.

Get answers to your questions about Kampala