We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queen Elizabeth ....planning help reqd.

Kampala, Uganda
reviews: 2
Queen Elizabeth ....planning help reqd.

Hey... we are 4 guys who are planning to visit QENP on 21-23 feb 2014.

We would also like to cover fort portal on our way to the park. We plan to hire a car for the trip. Here are the pointers am hoping for:

1. We plan to start on Thursday evening (20 feb). Is it a bright idea to travel in the night to fort portal.

2. How much time does it take to drive up there.

3. We do not want to stay at a lavish place but would not exactly want to do bunk beds... :-). Any suggestions for a place to stay with the view of Rwenzori mnts.

4. What are the attractions we can see in fort portal from morning till evening. We would like to reach QEJP by fri evening (21 feb)

5. Again a place to stay in QENP.

And any other tips are more than welcome.

Cheers!

GT

Kampala
Destination Expert
for Kampala, Uganda
reviews: 74
1. Re: Queen Elizabeth ....planning help reqd.

Hello GT

Good to have you on the forum.

Well you know Uganda. No, it is never a good idea to travel at night. You can get to Fort within 4 hours, can you leave by 2.30 pm? Whilst the road isn't bad, there are lots of those traffic calming humps in 2s, 4s, then a big one, then 4s and 2s, at every trading centre - all a bit tedious and you don't want to hit those at speed.

Try Mountains of the Moon, not cheap though, nice accommodation, pool, food OK (my OH's report).

There's a new lodge at QE, you may like to look into - no idea of prices, but looks interesting:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php… - Marafiki Lodge

Always ask for the residents' rates when making booking enquiries.

Kampala, Uganda
2. Re: Queen Elizabeth ....planning help reqd.

Hiya Shelly,

Thanks for the heads up.

And yeah I have heard about the perils of traveling at night, but we do not want to loose anytime as we are extremely low on time.

We are evaluating hiring a driver for the night travel, but might drop it keeping in view the responses we got.

And will look up Moon' acco.

Turns out the acco in QENP is over shooting our budget. $ 200/head/night. Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers!

GT

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 222
3. Re: Queen Elizabeth ....planning help reqd.

Bush Lodge is $150 for H/B. Contact NatureLodges website.

they also do Lazy Camping which means you use their tents.

there are a couple of other inexpensive ones near Katwe .

Driving after dark is foolhardy in the extreme. If the buses and speed bumps don't get you the animals sleeping in the road will.

Kampala, Uganda
4. Re: Queen Elizabeth ....planning help reqd.

Traveling late is a good idea especially when your going to a park like QENP. And i will tell you there are a lot of activities say:

> Game Drive

> Chimp Trekking

> Game Walks

> Boat Cruise

QENP has very good camping sites, so dont hesitate so much to the idea, but if you insist on indoor, then your will not be disappointed, you will find a good price.

I wish you the Best, its a good time of the year to visit Uganda.

Kampala, Uganda
5. Re: Queen Elizabeth ....planning help reqd.

Thanks mfuwe.

Am pretty much sold to starting early morning (4am).

And would look up the lodge u suggested

Kampala, Uganda
6. Re: Queen Elizabeth ....planning help reqd.

Thanks mfuwe.

Am pretty much sold to starting early morning (4am).

And would look up the lodge u suggested

Kampala, Uganda
7. Re: Queen Elizabeth ....planning help reqd.

Hi Pearl,

So you are saying it IS or IS NOT a good idea to travel late. :-)

Also what is the most apt time to go for the chimp trekking and cruise.

Thanks

Kampala
Destination Expert
for Kampala, Uganda
reviews: 74
8. Re: Queen Elizabeth ....planning help reqd.

Hmm. Consider number of posts made, if you get my drift.

What do you really want to do and see most?

A driver may well be your option, but the risks are the same, and the good ones I know don't like it any more than we do!

Kampala, Uganda
9. Re: Queen Elizabeth ....planning help reqd.

DAY ONE

I dont know what time your arriving, you can depart at 11am and still make it in time in Fort, its a distance of 5 Hours the latest. You can make a stop over at the Royal Drum makers, at the equator, have a lunch break and proceed. You might arrive at around 5pm, at since you want to stay in an accommodation over looking Mt Rwenzori Kyaninga Lodge and Ndali Lodge (Up market Lodges), and Kibale Forest Camp (Moderate) are just what you might need.

DAY TWO

It is less than a hour drive to Kibale, and the Morning Trekking starts at 8 am, by that time you have to be at Kanyankyu River Camp. These species have been habituated for researchers so it is always fun being around them. You get to see Black and white Columbus monkeys, L’Hoest Monkeys, Grey cheecked Mangabey, Red tailed monkeys, bush babies, pottos and many bird species like the yellow spotted nicator, rumped tinker bird, Little greenbul, green breasted pitta, the crowned eagle, black bee eater and mammals like Elephants can be seen in this walk.

After Lunch you can proceed to a nearby forest swamp that is excellent for viewing primates and other forest animals. At the East edge of Kibale forest is Bigodi wetland sanctuary which is mantained by the local community. You will expect birds like the great blue turaco, blue monkeys, baboons, otters, mongoose, bush bucks, bush pigs and among others.

In the evening you can proceed to QENP,the longest a two hours drive. At QENP you can stay at Mweya Safari Lodge (Up market), Kyambura Lodge (Modorate). Queen Elizabeth National Park boasts one of the highest biodiversity ratings of any game park or reserve in the world. From open savannah to rain forest, Queen Elizabeth has over one hundred mammal species, and an astounding 606 bird species, making it a premier safari destination.

DAY THREE

In morning, you will have a game drive to the to the crater lakes, returning to the Lodge for breakfast. In the afternoon take a cruise along the Kazinga Channel, home to one of the largest concentrations of hippopotamus, as well as herds of elephants, buffalo, and other wildlife who come to the river to drink. The Kazinga also attracts tremendous variety of bird species including the African Eagle, Open-Billed Stork, and Pied Kingfishers. Return to your lodge in the evening for dinner.

DAY FOUR

Morning game drive to the Kisenyi area to look for Lion prides and other wildlife like the Uganda Kob. Later take a cruise on the Kazinga Channel is among the highlights of any visit within Queen Elizabeth Park. The launch cruise offers great chances to take pictures since the boat drifts slowly just by the shores of the channel.

DEPARTURE DAY

Even checkout and Head to Kampala, you will be saving on accommodation by living QENP in the evening and sleeping in Kampala. And if your living the next day it will give you time to take a town tour the next day. I always say, "you have only seen the attractions of Uganda but have not visited Uganda if you didnt take a town tour of Kampala." It is a small city but adventurous, a group of four people can be great fun.

Your will need to pay for:

> Permits for the Chimps

> Game Drives

> Park Entrance

> Accommodation

> 4 Wheel Car Hire

> Driver or a Guide

And then your good to go.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 11
10. Re: Queen Elizabeth ....planning help reqd.

I know a nice place in Fort Portal. Not expensive at all. In fact, I did use it once myself back then in 2012. Nice modest rooms, hot running water and of course the view of the Ranges. The prices should be between 30 40 dollar each person bed and breakfast included.

I know her name to be Mariam and the place is called Nyinabulitwa Country Resort. This should probably help with the overnight in Fort Portal