We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Active African Vacations

MONROE
reviews: 8
Active African Vacations

If anyone is looking for a guide/ car hire for the Uganda/Rwanda ACTIVE AFRICAN VACATIONS is definitely recommended. Billy our guide was very helpful at making arrangements for everything from gorilla trekking, safaris, and national park visits. He works with you through out you trip and maintains a fun and flexible attitude, which allowed us to make changes to our agenda as we learned of the new and exciting things to do along the way. I high recommend him and his company if you are visiting Uganda. He can plan a trip for you or simply work with your itinerary and make all arrangements for you before you arrive then serve as a great, fun guide.

-Dennis

37 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 167
21. Re: Active African Vacations

My husband and I had a fantastic trip to Uganda and Rwanda this month. Billy picked us up in Kigali and we spent 2 great weeks with him. Billy was knowledgeable, friendly and a great companion - we were sorry to say goodbye to him at the the end of the trip.

Kampala, Uganda
reviews: 2
22. Re: Active African Vacations

good review guys come back soon.

Kampala, Uganda
reviews: 2
23. Re: Active African Vacations

we ought to wish each other well! great work AAV

Edited: 7:55 am, January 28, 2013
Fort Portal, Uganda
24. Re: Active African Vacations

My friend and I used Billy and his driver Emma for a recent trip and they are FANTASTIC. Billy is quick to respond to emails and phone calls AND he follows up. We only had one issue at the beginning and it was cleared up quickly and easily. So easy! Emma has been fantastic, both as a driver and as a person. When we got stuck one time because of another truck, he quickly found a way to get us moving on a different route towards our destination. We liked Billy and Emma so much that we booked an additional two days of car and driver service.

I would TOTALLY recommend Emma and Billy hands down. Use them!

Bukavu
reviews: 3
25. Re: Active African Vacations

We would recommend touring with active Uganda safaris. We were 2 people with the following itinerary with our guide Billy:

Day 1:1st Arrival in Uganda :

upon arrival at cyanika/bunagana boader, in the morning, drive to queen Elizabeth

park.5-6hrs drive to Queen Elizabeth National Park, with lots of game like

the tree climbing lions viewing en-route. Expect to find early raisers and

predators returning to the hideouts

Day 2nd early morning breakfast, go for game drive in search of the tree

climbing lions, elephants, hynas lots of Bufalos and antelopes, after

drive the kazinga charnel for a launch cruise after lunch from Mweya

peninsula along Kazinga channel, famous for the highest concentration of

Hippos in Africa, with huge Nile crocodiles, Buffalos and Elephants along

the shores and about 611 bird species. The boat provides a clear platform

for photographing. Relax in the evening as we wait for dinner and

overnight a mweya hostels

Day 3:rd Wildlife Exploration in Queen Elizabeth

Another extraordinary wildlife experience awaits you this morning! After a

cup of coffee,Go for a game drive along the tracks of Queen Elizabeth, in the Northern

side towards Lake George and Kasenyi village. Expect to see lions, herds

of elephant, buffaloes, spotted hyenas, waterbucks, Ugandan kobs, and

shy/rare leopard.

Gather your strength in afternoon for more exploration of the park in

Queen Elizabeth,after drive to fort portal over night at

raj hotel

Day4:4th : Depart fortportal , very early in the morning for your transfers

to Murchison Falls National Park. Dinner and overnight in Murchinson loddgei

Day 5: 5fith : Game Drive and Boat Cruise

Enter the park very early in the morning for you game drive which may

reward you with views of Giraffes, leopards, hyenas, lions, jackals, Cape

buffalo, Oribi, Warthog, elephants, buffaloes, Uganda Kob and many more.

Go to your lodge for Lunch before you take the boat ride for wildlife like

crocodiles, buffaloes, hippos and plenty of birds.

Day 6 :6th six. Morning Have breakfast in the morning and drive off to

Jinja. Youhave avisit to the source of the nile, and the former and

bujagali falls, where you will relax at the source of the nile, dinner and

overnight at nile rivers explores camp.

Day 7.7th You will then raft the whole day starting at the Nile for about

31km. You will spend the Night at Kadogo Camp or you may drive back to

Jinja town for the night as above.

Day 8

Drove to lake Bunyonyi and spent afternoon swimming at Bushashi island (run by the church – lovely)

Day 9:

Left Bunyonyi in the afternoon for the Cyanika border

We paid for budget accommodation – this was generally en-suite double beds with a clean room, and the quality of this exceeded our expectations (more like midrange than budget backpacker accommodation, which is what we’d expected).

Positives of trip

 Billy organised everything seamlessly, there were no problems with logistics or food (it was great – we paid for the trip at the start, and Billy then paid for everything apart from drinks)

 Billy provided an awesome Nissan 4x4, with a massive open-able roof, that allowed us to stand up on the seats and have a clear view of the savannah (it was also very comfy)

 Billy gave good tips on where to go when we were organising the itinerary

 He was also very flexible and allowed us to change parts of the itinerary along the way

 Billy was friendly

Some things that could be improved

 Could know more about bird identification

 Billy drove quite aggressively – could take more time

I would definitely recommend this company to a friend; we had a really relaxing trip (despite the large amount of driving).

Tom and Kate Heath

Uk

Aberystwyth, Wales...
26. Re: Active African Vacations

Gorilla trekking great expereince. Billy very friendly and helpful guide. Please check the breakdown of your tour costs before departure, but otherwise very happy with the product. its expensive but well worth it!

Dubai, UAE
27. Re: Active African Vacations

My girlfriend and I spent our 1 year anniversary with Active African Vacations on a 2 day Gorilla Trek. We stayed at Le Bambou Lodge as well. Haddy and our driver showed us great hospitality. Our drive even let me borrow his jacket for the trek as I was not prepared. My girlfriend and I travel a lot together and we are both believers that if you can surround yourself with a great tour staff then your experience no matter where you are can be amazing. With Active African Vacations, we had an amazing time. We even took a little tour of Kigali and the genocide memorial. We watch the movie Hotel Rwanda and our drive took us to see the actual hotel used during the genocide in 1994. I would recommend Active African Vacation to anyone searching for a quality tour company. I forgot to mention that our vehicles were the newest and cleanest of all.

London, United...
28. Re: Active African Vacations

You must have enjoyed this trip .. Do you have any link for photos??

Kampala
Destination Expert
for Kampala
reviews: 73
29. Re: Active African Vacations

haha regurgitation of this thread and re-reading it has really made me laugh!

I think I must be wearing a thicker skin...

Edited: 9:29 am, November 02, 2013
Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 199
30. Re: Active African Vacations

Yes Mama Sherry (sic) Still they come at regular intervals only to fade away never to be seen again.

What puzzles me is how these very nice people never actually came on this forum Before they travelled. Or indeed never share their experiences or photographs. A great pity.

How iz yo Business dear?

Reply to: Active African Vacations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted