We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queen Elizabeth, lake mburo or lake bunyonyi

London
reviews: 7
Queen Elizabeth, lake mburo or lake bunyonyi

Hello

First of all thanks to all the contributors to this forum. I've found this forum to be incredibly useful. Within the space of 2 weeks of reading this forum, I've decided to pull some money together and go on a gorilla tour.

At this late stage it looks like I've managed to secure a pass to see the gorillas in Rwanda. I'll be traveling through Uganda to get there. I'll be able to stop of at either Queen Elizabeth, lake mburo or lake bunyonyi. Which one do people recommend I visit. Bearing in mind I will be in Tanzania after this trip visiting the serengeti, lake manyara and ngorongoro so I would like to see something a little different but then again have no problems seeing something amazing twice!

Any advise will be much appreciated.

uktraveller0

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 222
1. Re: Queen Elizabeth, lake mburo or lake bunyonyi

Lake Mburo NP is 'just' an extension of the Serengeti Eco system so the animals, Impala, Zebra, Buffalo and eland you should see in TZ. There is a lake if you are a birder where you will see finfoot and other rareties. If not a birder, Hippos, V.boring! You can however do walking safaris with a Ranger.

Lake Bunyoni is picturesque set in hills but just a lake with campsites round it. Unless you are into swimming, kayaking types of activity give it a miss!

so that leaves QEPark.

A launch trip on the Kazinga channel is good value and you should see lots of elephant etc., coming to the water. Even the birds there are very spectacular because of the sheer numbers. You will again see most of the usual animals with only Ugandan Kob replacing Impala. No Giraffe. Mweya Lodge is in a spectacular position and you can walk out with a Ranger if you make the arrangements.

Mweya's gardens are also the home of mongoose, Warthogs and often Giant Forest Hog. (Hippos come into the gardens at night as well as an Elephant called Maria.)

This is the furthest away from the direct route to Rwandan border but would be my choice if time permits. I would not go there just for one night! Not worth the drive!

London
2. Re: Queen Elizabeth, lake mburo or lake bunyonyi

Thanks a lot for the information. It is very helpful. I'd also be interested to hiking, say to the top of a volcanoe. I guess none of these areas cater for that. Does anyone have any recommendations of a park/place where one can hike and gain some altitude and get great views of the the surrounding areas. Or will this be covered in parc de volcans when trekking for gorillas?

Thanks

uktraveller0

Isle of Man, United...
3. Re: Queen Elizabeth, lake mburo or lake bunyonyi

uktraveller.

The only volcanoes are in the Virungas. You will of course see them on your drive into Rwanda via Kisoro(and feel them when trekking).

You can miss out all three of your options above and drive to Kisoro and hike them from the Ugandan side.

there are also longer trails around the Lake Bunyoni area.

It is hard to advise more specifically as I do not know how long you are staying.

London
4. Re: Queen Elizabeth, lake mburo or lake bunyonyi

Again thanks for the info. My trip in Uganda/Rwanda will be short. I leave Entebbe on day 1, trek in Parc de Volcans on day 3 and return to Entebbe on day 6. Lake bunyoni is looking like the best option. I could maybe do a hike there.

thanks

uktraveler

Isle of Man, United...
5. Re: Queen Elizabeth, lake mburo or lake bunyonyi

Given your timescale I would agree. Or go on to Kisoro and go to Lake Mutanda. There is a nice lodge there and you can walk etc.,

Either way you need to be well placed to cross the border on Day 2.

6. Re: Queen Elizabeth, lake mburo or lake bunyonyi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:23 am, September 27, 2009