We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big market

Which Dakar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 3
Big market

Hello

Any recommendations for markets in Dakar ? to get some souvenirs?

and also if there are modern malls or so ?

thanks

Mohamed

dakar
1. Re: Big market

There are many markets here you can get some souvenirs, but prefarably visit Goree island , there you will see many types of it.

Dakar, Senegal
reviews: 109
2. Re: Big market

Hi, Yes we have one large mall (large to us who live in Senegal) you won't find many tourist shops there unfortunately, its called Sea Plaza and there is a walk way from the Radisson Hotel to the actually shopping centre, its a good place to eat, and buy clothes and shoes (aimed at European tastes)..for Tourist shopping the best and worst place is Soumbedioune Village, its a large market geared for the tourists..selling all manner of African Arts & Crafts..personally I hate taking friends there because the venders are so "in your face" and get can stupid with their prices on seeing a fresh tourist, but if you can cope with saying No merci in a strong voice you'll be fine...there are other places like Sandaga but you have to make sure your really not carrying a purse a wallet in your pocket, like any country where there are wall to wall people jostling around, personal security is important....The smaller markets at Point Almadies and even the gift shops like Ambre at the Radisson offer similar items of a higher quality and mostly fixed price....Oh and Goree Island shopping hint...never tell a lady on the ferry going over you will buy from her shop...they kind of really push you to say you will visit their craft shop and as you happily explore the island, totally forgetting the conversation on the ferry you will be siezed apon and your promise to buy with be loudly told to you :)

Cairo, Egypt
3. Re: Big market

Thanks Wendy for your advices, actually i just arrived from Dakar so i saw your post late :(

I stayed at Raddison and i visited the sea plaza, nice place and as you said not for African

Also Sandaga was good also , i bought some Giraffes ( he asked for 75K CFA for the 2 and i took them for 15K !! )

Goree was fantastic and the ladies in the Ferrys are typical as you said :D

Mohamed

4. Re: Big market

Where do I get Senegalese clothes and clothing materials in Dakar?

dakar
5. Re: Big market

You can visit Anselem market. There you will get many types of Senegalese clothes like Ganilla etc.

Radium Hot Springs...
6. Re: Big market

hahahh...so true...... both trips there I have had the conversation with a shop owner.....my word is my word and on both trip promised to visit their shop, which I did despite seeing her follow me around to make sure I did. I love this place

7. Re: Big market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 26, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Dakar