We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gorilla trekking

Bay Area
gorilla trekking

O.K., I actually hate to ask this question here. But I can't find an answer anywhere else, so here goes:

I'm wondering about the chances of running into a cobra while climbing thru the bush on a gorilla trek. I assume that since it's something you never hear about, it must not happen, but why is that?

Kampala
reviews: 14
1. Re: gorilla trekking

I have not heard any one who ran into a cobra on a gorilla trek and may be it hurt them, in case you happen to do so, the game rangers will help you.

Such an incidence can not be ruled out because where the trek takes place is a natural habitat for reptiles.

And please be optimistic.

Bay Area
2. Re: gorilla trekking

Thank you for your answer. I thought that cobras killed you almost instantly, but maybe that is not true.

Singapore
reviews: 112
3. Re: gorilla trekking

We didn't see any on our trek. The guides walk in front of you and hack away at the bush with machetes so I think that creates quite a bit of disruption which probably chases away most animals. Also, I'm no expert but I think cobras are found more in lowland areas whereas the gorillas are in the mountain rea of PNV.

Bay Area
4. Re: gorilla trekking

Thank you! That's a comfort. I hadn't thought of the fact that cobras might be more in the lowlands. I hope that's true!

Kampala, Uganda
5. Re: gorilla trekking

Cobras are very shy reptiles and just know that you can not see at all on your trekking and it's true that it kills very very first.. I have been in this industry for over 11 years non of my clients ever seen one while trekking the gorillas on Rwanda or Uganda

Bay Area
6. Re: gorilla trekking

I'm glad to hear that you have not seen one in 11 years. Thank you very much for the information. Hopefully we will have the same experience!

7. Re: gorilla trekking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 25, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Rwanda