We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4x4 vehicle hire, Windhoek - who is recommended?

Which Windhoek hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town
reviews: 102
4x4 vehicle hire, Windhoek - who is recommended?

We have changed tack and are now doing a self drive from Windhoek to Sossusvlei. I have a few vehicle hire quotes to consider.

Forum discussions relating to CAPRIVI CAR HIRE are a few years old and not so favourable. So I am wondering if anyone out there has recently used them and if so, how they found their service and vehicles.

And to compare, what about AUTOVERMIETUNG SAVANNA and PEGASUS CAR AND CAMPER HIRE? any views?

Looking forward to your responses

36 replies to this topic
Epsom, Surrey...
reviews: 243
11. Re: 4x4 vehicle hire, Windhoek - who is recommended?

Only comment we would add, having driven from Windy to Sossusvlei then round much of rest of Namibia this past Oct/Nov is - take it slow.

The main gravel roads (C.14, 17, 19, 21, especially) are deeply rutted and it is like driving over speed bumps for miles at a stretch. The sides of them are deep gravel into which its is quite easy to slide, jam a wheel and then ....... We saw several folks who had done exactly that and all admitted that perhaps they were going a bit too fast - 3 write-offs (incl a 4x4 HiLux !!).

Fuel at Sisriem, and Solitaire (blink and you'll miss it).

Bon Voyage (and sorry if we've sounded boring)

Cape Town
reviews: 102
12. Re: 4x4 vehicle hire, Windhoek - who is recommended?

Thank you Safariholic. Not at all boring, but very good advice and thank you for sharing. We too may have been tempted to put the foot down on the accelerator thinking it was like driving on our local SA dirt roads, when it sounds like its not.

Edited: 7:28 am, January 01, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 150
13. Re: 4x4 vehicle hire, Windhoek - who is recommended?

Agree with safarihoic.

I was told (don't know if it is true, but makes sense) that the number one cause of injury to tourist in Namibia is single car accidents on gravel/dirt roads. I could see after our last trip. Good advice.

Epsom, Surrey...
reviews: 243
14. Re: 4x4 vehicle hire, Windhoek - who is recommended?

In case it is of any interest ......

We did not route via Rehobeth, down the B1 etc, but ......took the following:

C26 to & through the Kupferberg Pass & on (past Left on D1237 to Rehobeth) to Left on D1265. Stay Right at the fork with the D1283, and continue till it connects with D1261 to Nauchas. Stay on D1261 till reaching turning (Right) onto the C24. Shortly after down through Remhoogte Pass (cool).

When come out of Hills onto a flat part, you are nearly at C.14. Turn left and dafter just half a Km, take Right onto D.1273 to Sesriem.

Thoroughly enjoyed this Route - Never done the other way, so cannot compare. This is NOT therefore a recommendation - Just a fact.

C. 26 is tarmac'd for 1st 20 Kms, and a renowned .... Bandit zone - Don't Stop for anything or anyone (so we were told bya local).

Fuel at Sesriem or Solitaire (there is NONE between it and Walvis Bay going North up C.14).

You are right gravel is less predictable than 'dirt'.

Dead jealous

London
reviews: 2
15. Re: 4x4 vehicle hire, Windhoek - who is recommended?

We recently used Advanced Car Hire and liaised with the very patient Wayne. If you are picking up your car on a weekend, call before and double check everything's OK with your vehicle. We arrived to find the car we had been set aside had no keys to it's boot (trunk) so had to help one guy move three cars (which became a bit of a joke but not a good start to the holiday) before we had a car that was ready to roll. Two hours at a car hire company on an industrial estate is no fun - especially if you can't make your first overnight stop. That said, once we were on the go the car was reliable. We took out the full insurance and I'm so glad we did for peace of mind more than anything - the D roads we used were worse than had been explained on various forums. We got one puncture during the three weeks and luckily did not add to the chips already in the windscreen. If you're taking a car with roof tent invest in an additional blow up mattress to bring with you - we managed 7 nights (we're forty somethings) before we ran to the loving arms of a bed but could have managed more probably if it wasn't so hot (we visited in December 2013) and we had a little extra padding. The hired sleeping bags are way too hot for that time of year too so a thin double eiderdown brought from home would work perfectly. We ended up opening them up to provide the same effect. With the car hire comes free airport transfers both ways and a complimentary stay at the lovely Etambi pension (owned by the same company). Would use again but double check car absolutely ready to roll when I got there.

Windhoek, Namibia
16. Re: 4x4 vehicle hire, Windhoek - who is recommended?

for Land rover Defenders, try namvic tours and safaris, they come fully kitted and very good rates and service :)

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
reviews: 9
17. Re: 4x4 vehicle hire, Windhoek - who is recommended?

It's against the forum posting rules to promote your own products....even if you do put a smiley face at the end. Sorry :)

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
reviews: 9
18. Re: 4x4 vehicle hire, Windhoek - who is recommended?

I am however allowed to say that we have used Namvic for a few rentals, mainly the large safari vehicle and some Landrover Discoveries and they all went off with no problems or issues at all.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

Windhoek, Namibia
19. Re: 4x4 vehicle hire, Windhoek - who is recommended?

Gemma, sorry if im wrong, but i thought it is allowed to give a recommendation when a poster ask for it?

thanks for the compliment :)

Odessa, Ukraine
reviews: 397
20. Re: 4x4 vehicle hire, Windhoek - who is recommended?

Thanks for useful posts

We expect to travel with large group - 12-13 people of 3 families. I presume that 1 vehicle is better in terms of joint fun and socializing, but managed to find 12 seater as 2*4 minibus only - any better options? And 4*4, preferably?

Or 2 cars are better? I definitely dont like idea of being split into 3 separate groups

Edited: 2:25 pm, October 31, 2013
Reply to: 4x4 vehicle hire, Windhoek - who is recommended?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted