We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fuel cost

Which Namibia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 158
Fuel cost

I am budgeting how much cash to bring. What is the cost of fuel right now?

What can I expect mileage from my Toyota Rav4?

Thanks

Nashville, Tennessee
1. Re: Fuel cost

Ok, I found the rav4 data and should expect about 10km/liter for the 4 cylinder engine. Now I need to know the cost of fuel per liter in Namibia right now. Anyone know? How much variation as I get to kamanjab and okaukuejo?

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 222
2. Re: Fuel cost

Cannot remember the cost of juice but it is fairly constant across Namibia as I think it is government controlled. It won't bend the budget much at all.

Nashville, Tennessee
3. Re: Fuel cost

A website I found says it is USD$1.30 per liter. That seems too cheap? As a comparison, it says fuel is USD$2.07/liter in the UK. Is that right?

Edited: 6:57 pm, March 30, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
4. Re: Fuel cost

Ok-

After quite a bit of research, I have found the avearge fuel cost right now, based on 9.22/1 exchange rate, is about USD $1.28/liter. I should average about 10 km/liter in the Rav4. So that means an average of USD $0.13/km travelled fuel costs. Helps me to estimate cash needs.

SOrry for the silly questions, but it was hard to find correct information that was up to date.

Thanks Mfuwe for the tip that price tends to be pretty steady.

Maybe this will help others plan cash needs since credit cards are usually not accepted for fuel payment.

Thanks

Sydney
reviews: 15
5. Re: Fuel cost

Cost of diesel was N$11 - N$12 per litre. Returned from Namibia around middle of February. Always fill up at each town. Service stations only accept cash - no credit cards. Cashed in USD700 at airport to cover a self drive 9 day trip and that was just sufficient. Our trip was Windhoek-Sossuslei-Swakopmund-Twyfelfontein-Etosha-Windhoek.

Isle of Man, United...
6. Re: Fuel cost

I would think a UK Equiv wold be nearer $2.25 using $1.5/£ and £1.5/litre.

Don't over think this Stephen. Plan by all means but Fuel price is only one factor in the equation. Consumption will vary as you know between batting down some nice tar at 125kph and graunching along in third in sand and/or with frequent stops for Ellies. (And for you automatic gear fans, how you treat the clutch and 'loud pedal'.)

I have no idea how big the Capacity is in a Rav. We had two tanks in the Hi-Luxe (140/160 litre total) and cruised all day on one. I did have the advantage of knowing where to find fuel so did not Pump hop.

Nashville, Tennessee
7. Re: Fuel cost

The two things I am trying to figure:

How much cash to have. We ran low last time after 16 days mainly due to using more fuel than expected. Not too bad, but just trying to plan.

I am a little concerned about having enough fuel if I fill up in kamanjab and then drive to the gate, over to dolomite and spend 2 days doing game drives, and then traverse the park to okaukuejo. There is no fuel past kamanjab until okaukuejo is reached.

Isle of Man, United...
8. Re: Fuel cost

Cash apart I would wonder about the range of the RaV to do that. 70 ltr tank gives just 500-600km.

It is 130km to Dolomite and 175 on to Okaukuejo. That does not leave much for Game drives. Be careful.

Nashville, Tennessee
9. Re: Fuel cost

That is what worries me a little. The data says we should average around 10km/liter but I am going to plan on 9km/liter around the park. That only leaves us with about 200-300km of sight seeing over 3/4 day Sunday, all day Monday, and whatever Tuesday prior to leaving for okaukuejo. It seems like 100km/day is not much.

I wonder if the Rav4 for rental has a larger capacity?

Isle of Man, United...
10. Re: Fuel cost

I doubt it but you can check. Ask for a spare 25 litre can.

It is not all doom and gloom though.

There are not that many viewing tracks around Dolomite so unless you are into the two 'big' loops

Out to Olifantsrus to the East,which you will do again on the way to Okaukuejo, and the other way to Luiperdskop you won't run up a big 'mileage'.

I don't recall if you went to Dolomite last time. Did you go far?

We did both those 'loops' but found more fun just at Klippasn and Rateldraf.