We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari in July.... what to wear

Which Namibia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Munich, Germany
reviews: 49
Safari in July.... what to wear

Dear All

we are planning to do a safari in Namibia in July. The plan is to drive from Cape Town up to the north of Namibia (border do Angola). My main concern is that we will be camping and I am afraid to freeze at night, since the temperature will drop dramatically. It is my first "camping" holiday.... so I am clueless.... can you recommend what kind of clothes to take with me?

Thanks!!!

Any other suggestion is welcome.... I have never been to Namibia nor to South Africa

Naracoorte
reviews: 14
1. Re: Safari in July.... what to wear

Lots of layers! Cold is cold, coming from London you just bring good warm stuff that you can pile on at night and early morning and peel off if the day heats up enough. Some good thermals to wear for sleeping in might be an idea.

Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 150
2. Re: Safari in July.... what to wear

Agree with tryhard. Layer upon layer so you can shed as the temperature rises. It will get down to 0-5 degrees at night depending on where you are. Camping can be quite cold at that temperature. Make sure you have either an insulated sleeping bag rated for cold camping or a liner for the bag. The thermals will be a must for the camping. It stays dark about 13 hours that time of year as well. Makes for a long time to cool off and stay cold.

We will be there in July as well.

Windhoek, Namibia
3. Re: Safari in July.... what to wear

like the guys are saying, layering will be the best, if you travel from south to north the weather changes quite allot, aus the coldest place in Namibia and can have winter rain, snow in July, best to take thermal to sleep in, because tents have no insulation and good sleeping bag.

they days can become quite hot actually, depends where you are, but usually into the high 20's

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 189
4. Re: Safari in July.... what to wear

I agree with all those who said layers. Its firgid in the morning and night and warm enough to ear short sleeves ( in the north) at around midday. You might also want a good all weather sleeping bag. I stayed in the north in July which is the warmer area and I wore a winter coat at times in the morning and at night,.

5. Re: Safari in July.... what to wear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 15, 2014