We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Namibia Guidebooks and maps?

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 178
Namibia Guidebooks and maps?

Planning a self drive trip next Sept. to the usual suspects- Windhoek, Sossusvlei, Swakopmund, Damaraland, Etosha. Our lodging and car are being booked at this time.

What Namibia books (guidebooks, natural history, wildlife, culture) would you suggest we read in advance and/or bring along?

Same for maps. What maps for a self drive?

Currently have the Lonely Planet "Botswana and Namibia" guidebook.

Thanks!

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
reviews: 8
1. Re: Namibia Guidebooks and maps?

I recommend to my clients to get the Bradt Guide. Chris McIntyre has done a fabulous job with it, and it is extremely up to date.

Also we give our clients the Tracks for Africa map which is very comprehensive, I highly recommend that, especially if you are planning any offroading.

Sasol book of birds is my Southern Africa bird bible.

Gemma Dry -Discover Namibia Safaris

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
reviews: 8
2. Re: Namibia Guidebooks and maps?

Notes on Nature by Amy Schoeman is a fabulous book too. Thanks for Linkie for reminding me the name!!!

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 188
3. Re: Namibia Guidebooks and maps?

Guide books. Bradt of course.

Map Studio do a Tourist Atlas which has things to do and Touristy things in it. Not quite a guide book though. ISBN 1-86809-611-4

www.mapstudio.co.za

Maps.

They also produce quite a good Road Atlas of Southern and East Africa.

I find that handy for pre trip planning.

For the actual trip most T.Os will provide you with the up to date Roads Authority Map and some even go so far as to mark your chosen route in highlighting pen.

I don't know the Traks4Africa Map but do know their SD cards for SatNavs.

If you have a Garmin or similar, just download from T4A website. Load it and have fun. $30 or so.

SASOl Books are good. I take along Sinclairs "Birds of Africa south of the Sahara" but mainly cos I have it.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 178
4. Re: Namibia Guidebooks and maps?

Thanks!

Have ordered Brant and Notes on Nature. Tracks for Africa on backorder but coming in Jan-Feb.

Any other books I should be reading over the next 9 months?

Isle of Man, United...
5. Re: Namibia Guidebooks and maps?

Don't forget the download for you Garmin.

Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 151
6. Re: Namibia Guidebooks and maps?

I liked the bradt guide and the lonely planet guide. I used both ahead of time.

I like to read about animals so I got the "Travelers wildlife guides to Southern Africa" by B. Branch and C. Stuart et al. It was big, bulky and somewhat difficult reading. I liked the "Field Guide to Mammals of Southern Africa" by Chris and Tilde Stuart (same stuarts as above). It was easier to read and slightly smaller. I liked it better than the larger guide. The smaller one could be taken with you, but it is still too big to be put in a pocket.

I liked the small, easy to carry "A Photographic guide to Birds of Namibia" by Ian and Jackie Sinclair. Easily fit into a pocket and nice photos. However, Mfuwe and Gemma are far more experienced birders than I.

Gemma (my agent) included a small, pocket mammal guide by Sasol publishing. It was very small and easy in a pocket. Very basic. The title was "First field guide to Mammals of Southern Africa."

Isle of Man, United...
7. Re: Namibia Guidebooks and maps?

Hey Stephen,

Pleased you wrote that about Sinclair's "Photographic guide to birds". (Same author as the 'big' book I mentioned in #3).

Your post rang a bell and I looked on my shelf and there it was.

Nice book too. I wonder how long I have had that and how I overlooked it?

Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 151
8. Re: Namibia Guidebooks and maps?

mfuwe-

With your experience, I figured you probably have most of the pictures and descriptions memorized...:)

It is a nice little book. Easy to throw in a pocket and get out. For you, it probably is not in depth enough for a field guide, but it works for amateurs like me.

Less than 7 months until I get to go back.....

Isle of Man, United...
9. Re: Namibia Guidebooks and maps?

Well of course it only covers 237 species out of 670+ but what it does it does well. I like it. Most of the more noticeable birds are there. It is a good primer for folks for whom birds are not high on the list of priorities.

7 months eh? I am working on my next one too.

10. Re: Namibia Guidebooks and maps?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, December 17, 2013