We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Namibian train tour

Which Namibia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Simon's Town, South...
reviews: 2
Namibian train tour

I'm considering doing Namibia by train and believe a company called JB Train Tours offers an all-in luxury package in sleeper cars. Anyone have any experience they can share?

28 replies to this topic
Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 222
1. Re: Namibian train tour

I suggest you ask the Operator how much of this is by train and how much by road.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 57
2. Re: Namibian train tour

"doing Namibia by train" will be a very limited tour.

There are only a couple of lines, and they don't go very close to the most popular bits.

Have you seen www.seat61.com?

I think the train would be OK for 1 or 2 nights, but you will need road transport to see the bulk of the country and its highlights.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
reviews: 9
3. Re: Namibian train tour

The only luxury train I can think of is the Desert Express? I couldn't seem to find online an actual specific itinerary for JB Train Tours, but looking at the brief overview they give there is going to be a certain amount of road travel one would assume...you can't simply hop off the train at Fish River Canyon, hop on again, hop off at Sossusvlei etc. I would be inclined to ask them for a more detailed breakdown of what you can expect, because you don't want to splurge out for a luxury train trip and then find yourself stuck on a bus for some of it!

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

cape Town
reviews: 3
4. Re: Namibian train tour

Do not use JB TOURS --We have just done a trip and is a complete rip off --It was advertised as a luxury tour -well it was a 2 star -they say 2 for the price of one -please get this on facebook .There was NO storage space ,the bathroom was the size of a toilet and there was noise from the airconditioning so loud all day.all night we could not sleep !!!Terrible and rip off

cape Town
5. Re: Namibian train tour

Terrible tour and a rip off --do not use JB tours .There is no luxury on the trains in Namibia --We thought we were camping and paid the same for luxury on the Queen Mary !!!!!!!!!!!!!!Disgusting

cape Town
6. Re: Namibian train tour

So right ---We arrived on the first day and I cried when I saw the LUXURY that was advertised ---This company should be reported for misinformed advertising

cape Town
7. Re: Namibian train tour

DO not use jb tours a rip off and not the way to see NAmibia

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 57
8. Re: Namibian train tour

Even luxury train are "compact", ie cramped.

It's not like "Murder on the Orient Express", with people swanning round in ball gowns and heading for the piano bar..... :-)

London
reviews: 1
9. Re: Namibian train tour

Anyone else done the JB Tour of Namibia on the Desert Express? How was it? Helen

Windhoek, Namibia
10. Re: Namibian train tour

never heard of JB train tours, but you can contact desert express directly, i have clients who have sued them and they were very happy.

they do Swakopmund to Windhoek overnight and vise versa, you can even load your rental car on the train.

Chris - Namvic Tours & safaris

Reply to: Namibian train tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted