We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day/2 night sandy trip wanted... any recs for operators?

Which Namibia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
reviews: 2
3 day/2 night sandy trip wanted... any recs for operators?

I'm coming in as part of a cruise in a couple weeks, and we have from about 1000 14 Feb to 1500 16 Feb and some of us would like to do sandboarding, maybe 4x4, camping... something active and outdoor and fun (18-22 yrs). Any recs for tour companies?

Thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
1. Re: 3 day/2 night sandy trip wanted... any recs for operators?

Turnstone Tours trip to Sandwich Harbour, includes driving up, and down, huge sand dunes. Plenty of quad bikes, sandboarding etc operators in Swakopmund.

Presume your cruise comes into Walvis Bay? There operators there that will do kayaking, and getting close to sea mammals. Mola Mola is one.

turnstone-tours.com/…mundulea

http://www.mola-namibia.com/tours/mc.htm

http://www.namibweb.com/

should help.

Ohio
reviews: 2
2. Re: 3 day/2 night sandy trip wanted... any recs for operators?

Thank you! I received a very nice email response from them. We would really like to do both camping and sand activities (4x4, sandboarding, etc) but have been told by a tour agency that we would have to choose between Sossusvlei (camping but no activities) or Swakopmund (activities but no camping) due to limited time.

Do you agree with this? Which would you recommend?

Thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
3. Re: 3 day/2 night sandy trip wanted... any recs for operators?

Yes - I agree. Difficult to fit in camping AND those activities. I didn't consider Sossusvlei,as I thought it too far for the short time you have.

You might get there before dark on the 14 Feb. Then up with the (dune) lark to catch the early morning sun on the huge dunes. Walk up a dune and run down it; lunch; see Dead Vlei, and sun setting and the dunes changing colour, as you head back to camp site. Next day, a long drive back to ship.

Or, activities around Swakopmund and Walvis Bay. Hmm?

To use an over-used word, the dunes at Sossusvlei are awesome, but you have to weigh that against 2 long drives (c. 5 hours) on the same road, across a very barren desert.

Swakopmund's a pleasant town, with good shops and restaurant. Walvis Bay has a tidal lagoon which attract flamingoes and pelicans.

Your choice.

4. Re: 3 day/2 night sandy trip wanted... any recs for operators?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, October 15, 2009