We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best month to visit -May or October?

Which Mauritius hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff
reviews: 31
Best month to visit -May or October?

Never been to the island before -we can go either May 2014 or October. In terms of "reliability" of weather, which is the better choice? Also, are there other good reasons for selecting either month eg local celebrations etc

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
reviews: 30
1. Re: Best month to visit -May or October?

I'd say much of a muchness with both months having lovely weather everywhere on the island. Hot days with less humidity and rainfall. We favour May but haven't been in October so can't compare unfortunately.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
reviews: 128
2. Re: Best month to visit -May or October?

Agree with Dee, you can go either month and anywhere on the island will be fine for the weather.

As for local celebrations, sorry but I can't think of any in either month although the Hindu festival of Diwali is 23rd/27th October next year. Mauritius is multifaith, (Hindu, Muslim and R.C. being the main ones).

Mazza :-)

Edited: 3:09 am, October 14, 2013
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
reviews: 977
3. Re: Best month to visit -May or October?

Both months tend to offer milder weather, with May signifying the end of the main summer season whilst October signifies the start.

The Muslim festival will Eid will take place in early Oct next year.

Chester, United...
reviews: 21
4. Re: Best month to visit -May or October?

Hi Brewerdave

So, I'm following you to Cayo Levantado, and you're following me to Mauritius perhaps?

My first trip was in the last two weeks of September, and I thought the climate was wonderful, but was only a little bit sorry we hadn't travelled in October as it was improving daily, without being too humid. From what I read, October is also the driest month on the island, though the rain we experienced in September was just a few short showers, not worth stirring yourself for, and still warm.

It's a very long journey, but such a lovely island - very green and scenic.

Good luck with your holiday hunting!

Cheers

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
reviews: 40
5. Re: Best month to visit -May or October?

Been here most Mays and most Octobers and here now - I would say October is the better month though May is also good IME.

October is the driest sunnest month and arrived today to hot sunny weather :)

Cardiff
6. Re: Best month to visit -May or October?

Thanks for all advice - looking at prices for both May and October now - I fancy October but from the UK it seems a bit pricier ~ 15-20% more for the same packages. Also will depend on whether my OH can get the time off!

Hi Wirralite -Yes,we fancied a change from the Caribbean next year - prices there seem to be well up anyway!

Chester, United...
7. Re: Best month to visit -May or October?

You're right Brewerdave - thank goodness for Cuba where prices are still reasonable and standards are more than acceptable as long as you aim for a very affordable five star. Amazing beaches too!

As for Mauritius, if we went again we'd definitely also aim for a higher end hotel. Might even prefer something in the more isolated south where certain months of the year can be windy and cooler than the north I gather, but should be no problem in either May or October. However, think wherever you stay fish will be on the menu and is excellent in terms of both quality and choice.

Looking east ourselves for next year!

Cheers

Cardiff
8. Re: Best month to visit -May or October?

Wirrallite - I've been looking at Ambre Hotel - any experience?

Agree with what you say with Cuba's reasonableness -but unfortunately Thomson are dropping Cuba from next April - so little choice left.

Chester, United...
9. Re: Best month to visit -May or October?

Hi Brewerdave

Sorry, my only experience so far has been at the Casuarina in Trou aux Biches, and my, somewhat mixed, review, is now on TA. However, the DE's on this forum have been to just about every hotel on the island between them so just search recent threads and I'm sure you'll find lots of advice on the Ambre.

The five star Trou aux Biches resort was close to the Casuarina, had an amazing beachfront location and looked fabulous, but It is very expensive and I believe only available on full board - not AI - with a bottle of house wine costing around £30? Even in our little 3 star hotel a glass of wine was £6 for guests on half board.

Fortunately, Thomas Cook are still whisking me away to the Melia Cayo Coco as yet - though they too have withdrawn flights from Gatwick and now only depart from Manchester - probably not very convenient for you in Cardiff.

You've lots of options in Mauritius though, and other guests advised us that the catamaran trip and walking with lions excursions are a must!

Best of luck!

Cheers ❤️

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
reviews: 40
10. Re: Best month to visit -May or October?

Stayed at Ambre a few years ago now - good beach and good resort.

Its now adults only , had a refurb and is and under new management of Sunresorts since October 2012 which is a big positive - previous management had rather let it go to pot!