We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Flights cancelled

Which Mauritius hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 47
Virgin Flights cancelled

just had our flights in May cancelled as Virgin have pulled their summer schedule. We were offered connecting flights via Jo'burg with 6 hour plus waits each side, reducing our 8 days in Mauritius to 6 days, so we are no longer going. Oh well.....

Griff

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
reviews: 40
1. Re: Virgin Flights cancelled

Griff is this because of the recession? We are going in May with Emirates. Can't they change you to Air Mauritius or Air France, or were you booked with Virgin Holidays?

This is really bad news!

Bronia

London
2. Re: Virgin Flights cancelled

Hi Bronia

no reason given when I asked Virgin, but probably due to lack of bookings, yes.

unfortunately the dates we need are not available on BA and we were using Virgin Miles for some of this trip, so it would cost much more...... strangely, the connecting flights from Jo'burg I originally wanted are still showing as available with South African Airways, despite Virgin claiming they are full! So far, we are waiting for refunds for our miles and taxes etc.

If worst comes to worst, will have to go in 2010!

cheers, GRIFF

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
3. Re: Virgin Flights cancelled

Griff thats awful. There's nothing on their website. I wonder how many people this is going to affect. I tried to make a dummy booking for May 10th and it said flights unavailable. :(

They are probably being economical with the truth about SAA flights?

Make sure you get your miles and taxes back!

Makes you wonder how bad things are getting though.

Take care,

Bronia :)

Taunton, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Virgin Flights cancelled

There was a report in one of the local papers here in Mauritius that Virgin are 'temporarily' ending their Mauritius flights from 26 April.How temporary this is remains to be seen.Recession we assume!!!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
5. Re: Virgin Flights cancelled

Maurilover thats bad for Mauritius; lets hope no other carrier follows suite. Virgin were the new kids on the block, maybe they were just getting established then along came all the economic woes.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

London
6. Re: Virgin Flights cancelled

It's a real shame as I feel that Virgin do offer a great product in Premium Economy and Upper Class and much needed competition on the non-stop route.

Despite what I said yesterday, we were so gutted by the prospect of cancelling our trip that we have decided to bite the bullet and fork out for full price BA flights instead!

best wishes to all, GRIFF

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
7. Re: Virgin Flights cancelled

And Best Wishes to you too Griff,

Good to know your trip's still going ahead!

If you are going May maybe wait to see if BA have their sales after Christmas?

Cheers

Ambleside, United...
reviews: 13
8. Re: Virgin Flights cancelled

How sad! BMI have also withdrawn their flights to Barbados from Manchester. I fear there is worse to come in the New Year.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
reviews: 981
9. Re: Virgin Flights cancelled

I noticed this in the Orlando Forum:

Virgin Atlantic has announced that it will be launching new flights to Barbados and Orlando in its summer 2009 schedule, followed by more flights to Montego Bay in Jamaica for the winter season.

All of the additional services will be operated from either Manchester Airport or Gatwick Airport.

Between May 2nd and November 7th, Virgin Atlantic will add extra Saturday flights from Manchester Airport to Barbados, which will complement its existing Sunday service to the the Caribbean island.

The airline will boost its schedule of services from Manchester Airport to Orlando between April 26th and November 8th with a new Sunday flight, bringing its total number of weekly connections on this route to ten.

Following the successful launch of twice-weekly flights from Gatwick Airport to Montego Bay, Virgin Atlantic will add a third weekly service to this route for the winter season between November 13th 2009 and March 19th 2010.

The airline said that Montego Bay is now a "major destination" for winter holidaymakers from the UK, thanks to its warm weather and "modern luxury hotels"

Looks like Mauritius has lost out to Montego Bay and to some extent Orlando. In reality I think its tough competing with Emirates who are consistently cheaper.

Coromandel
reviews: 12
10. Re: Virgin Flights cancelled

Hello,

Just too bad that you could not redeem your miles from Virgin Atlantic for your trip here.Sadly Virgin is acting like a charter flight from UK to Mauritius, flying only in the high season and disappearing in the low season, leaving the donkey work to Air Mauritius.If you wait till next year there is a big probability that you can get cheaper Flights and hotel accomodation if this looming world recession reaches Mauritius.We are seeing hotels which used to be full in December like Sofitel making special deals for locals for New Year, this hints that there may be a price war next year for overseas tourists so look out for bargains, 2009 may be a great bargain year for the traveller!!!