We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

safety in Mauritania

Which Nouakchott hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portugal
reviews: 2
safety in Mauritania

I need to know how safe is Mauritania at the present time. I am planning a trip on my own to the capital and rhen to the north.Is it safe outside Nouakchott? Thanx.

MY email is . issa_57@yahoo.com

8 replies to this topic
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 104
1. Re: safety in Mauritania

I travel there a lot for business. I feel ok in the capital but do not recommend travel outside the capital, especially on your own. Just asking for trouble.

New Delhi, India
2. Re: safety in Mauritania

Hi! How safe is it to do business with a firm based in Nouakchott? What terms must one set for payments? I have a business query from there and need to know about business in that country

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Morocco
3. Re: safety in Mauritania

I think it would depend entirely on the firm and the nature of the business. I probably wouldn't recommend it without first knowing a lot more about the business itself.

Nokomis, Florida
reviews: 132
4. Re: safety in Mauritania

Hi. Is your advisory for travel outside the capital still aplicable. I have seen a great sounding trip with Chinguitty Voyages to the following: Transport: Toyota Hilux 4x4 with air condition

Accommodations (double room):

In Nouakchott: Hotel 3*-1 Night+ day use

In Chinguitty: lux motel - 2 Nights

In Ouadane: motel -1 Night

In Arguin basin: simple motel Iwik with tents -2 Nights

In Tergit : simple motel – 1 Night.

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Morocco
5. Re: safety in Mauritania

I would find out who owns the company: local or foreign. I'd also find out how many other people are going. I would lean toward taking the tour. Just don't go roaming away from the group at any time. Lots to see in Mauretania. You just want to be sure to see it safely.

Nokomis, Florida
reviews: 132
6. Re: safety in Mauritania

I'm hoping there would be 4 (including 2 we traveled with in Sudan last winter and who will also be with us in Cameroon this December/January) , but there may only be 2 of us.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Morocco
7. Re: safety in Mauritania

Sounds exciting. Just listen to your guide and enjoy!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Morocco
8. Re: safety in Mauritania

I always check the travel warnings before traveling anywhere: travel.state.gov//cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_966.html

Reply to: safety in Mauritania
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nouakchott