We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lone travel

London, United...
1 post
Lone travel

I want to travel from Morocco overland to The Gambia in June/July time, obviously this means travel through Mauritania. I'm a 23 year of British female and would be travelling alone between these two places. I have travelled alone in Ethiopia, Mozambique and Morocco before so it's not new to me but none of these countries had heightened security warnings at the time. Does anybody know what the situation is currently in Mauritania? How realistic is this journey? If the situation is particularly bad then I'm not interested in making stops, just getting from border to border so I can continue on till I meet my friend. Is this likely to be possible?

Many thanks for any help.

10 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Lone travel

Hi Rie, I was looking to do a similar route from Casablanca to Tivaouane (in Senegal) around mid/early June. I had first planned to do the route by moto but for logistics and safety reasons I'm looking to take the bus this time in order to assess to feasibility of an eventual journey by moto.

I'm thinking of stopping in either Western Sahara and Mauritania (or both!) for a couple of days each to check out these places.

I can't speak to the current safety conditions. I don't have first hand accounts and have only read the warnings issued by various consulates... My understanding is that the further East one goes (closer to Mali) the more safety issues become a concern. But you might comfort in knowing that at least one other person is thinking that the trip is feasible and worth wile.

2. Re: Lone travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:48 pm, July 29, 2013
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,274 posts
3. Re: Lone travel

Look at :-

Then check out the other Countries..!!

Have driven down myself 4 Times to The Gambia.

' Rich.....

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
4. Re: Lone travel

Mauritania's OK at the moment, just be careful when travelling through Nouakchott

Randburg, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
5. Re: Lone travel

I am planning a motorcycle trip from South Africa to Germany, could be that I have to do it solo if I don't find travel companions. But since it's not viable to ride though Niger and Algeria, partly due to it being too much desert and partly security issues, I was rather considering Mali and Mauritania. But everywhere I look, there are warnings about safety! My friend Jo did a solo trip on her bike, all the way around the outside of Africa,and she had no major problems.

I will get advice from her as well, but any additional info would be appreciated.

6. Re: Lone travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, August 18, 2014
London, United...
3 posts
1 review
7. Re: Lone travel

Hi Lone travel! Did you ever make it to Mauritania? I'd like your advice now..... I'm a photojournalist and have been asked to spend time in Mauritania, mostly Nouakchott and surrounding villages for an animal charity, which I really want to do but am getting mixed reports about safety. I'd appreciate your advice if you have a moment. I think the terrible things that are happening in the world at the moment are un-nerving me.

Thanks in advance,

Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
8. Re: Lone travel

Hi Anne,

Have you made any further plans to visit? I have worked just under 5 years in Mauritania having just left last month. There is a British Consul in Nouakchott so I'd recommend reaching out to the FCO and let them know if you are going. As mentioned in previous posts, the terrorist threat is greater to the East and NE of the country. For robbery and other petty crime it can happen anywhere and NKC has seen an increase of crime since the conflict in Mali started.

Should you wish to visit, I would recommend getting a local guide as a minimum and give your itinerary to the UK rep in country. Having said that, if you follow basic security advice and common sense, you should have a great time.

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
9. Re: Lone travel

Hi LT!

Thanks for your reply! I'll be working for an animal charity so I'll be taken care of....I've taken out extra insurance for my cameras and my medical is covered, which is a happy surprise when there are warnings on the country!

It What were you doing in Mauritania? Where are you now? I'm looking forward to my trip now. While I'm in NKC I might like a guide as I have 2 days free at the end of a 5 day commission (I'm a photojournalist) can you recommend someone? Best Wishes. Annie.

Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
246 posts
199 reviews
10. Re: Lone travel

We're thinking of going this winter for a few weeks, with a guided program. We've recently been to Chad and Sudan in spite of the dire warnings, but what we read about Mauritania makes it seem a bit more serious. Do you have any current information? Many thanks.

Reply to: Lone travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted