We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Traveling to Mauritania - Sept & October 2009

Ohio
Traveling to Mauritania - Sept & October 2009

I plan on traveling with a friend this Sept. & October to Mauritania. I am American, he was born in Mauritania. We are going back to visit his family. We plan on flying directly in/out of Nouakchott. Once in NKC we will be driving to the city of Rosso. Plan to stay about 12-14 days.

My main concern is my safety upon arrival. There are currently no travel warnings, but there are some US Gov. issued travel alerts....which are making me a little nervous. Looking for some feedback from any Americans that have traveled there recently.

I would GREATLY appreciate your feedback!! I feel safe traveling with a Mauritanian citizen, but still am a bit unsure of how I'll be treated by other locals.

Thanks.

Ohio
11. Re: Traveling to Mauritania - Sept & October 2009

Ha Ha - It's good to know that I'm not getting advice from a ganster! When I first saw the picture I must admit it made me pause for concern! Thanks for everything. I'll let you know how the trip went when I get back!

12. Re: Traveling to Mauritania - Sept & October 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 02, 2010