We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Is it possible to drive through mauritania with a truck?

isle of man
reviews: 1
Is it possible to drive through mauritania with a truck?

am hoping to take a large truck and trailer through morrocco mauritania senagal and on to gambia where my partner and i are building a house ive bought maps guides and checked the home office site for details but always get conflicting reports about the safety of the roads and mauritania in general anyone any idea if this is feasible with all the visas and insurance in place wouldnt want to have to abondon the vehicle in the desert! appreciate any advice from reliaable sources. i understand that the dakar rally has been suspended for the time being.

Bristol, United...
1. Re: Is it possible to drive through mauritania with a truck?

Returned your PM..

Would be handy to check Sahara_overland on web, get newest prices for fuel and exchange prices, also go to Forums on site. That take you to HUBB, just put in Atlantic Route or Gambia.

Loads of stuff there..

It is NOT Good to Drive at Night, Bad Roads here and there Tarmacked but have Holes..

DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT.......

Visas etc are available at each Border, no need to get in advance, cheaper at borders as well..

Rich........

dakar
2. Re: Is it possible to drive through mauritania with a truck?

I have 2 friends who have done the trip in august, and a lot of friends who have done it so many times ...

So the road is realy feasable, but my advice would be to get the contact with some reliable guides BEFORE departing, and then contact them in case of problem.

If at least one guide has already been in touch with you before, he will help you and solve the pb.

Tell me if you want a couple of mauritanian guide numbers.

3. Re: Is it possible to drive through mauritania with a truck?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, October 04, 2009