We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Dangers regarding recent military coups

Australia
reviews: 8
Dangers regarding recent military coups

Hi

I would really like any information on the safety etc. in Mauritania at the moment. I am travelling from Morocco to Ghana by land rover and am expecting to be there late October, early November. I will be travelling in a small group and have found on the British and Australian government websites that they are advising people not to travel. I understand that consulates have to be one-sided in their recommendation and would like to hear some advice of someone who is in the country or recently been there. As we are driving by car our route is flexible.

Any help would be awesome!!!

Jade

London
reviews: 3
1. Re: Dangers regarding recent military coups

Hi,

I'm currently living and working in Mauritania, (been here 7 years now), and to be honest, since the last coup, there hasn't really been many changes. You get the very ocassional police roadblock, but providing you have the required paperwork for your vehicle, and a driving licence (we all just show a colour photocopy of a UK licnce), they will normally just wave you on.

When the most recent coup happened, we had to stay in our house for a day just to be safe, then it was back to work as normal.

I don't know what you require in the way of visas, as I'm here on an employment/residence visa, and you will have to get this sorted before you get here. It would also be a great help if one of your party can speak French. Bring a mixture of $US and € if possible. There are a few exchange places in town, and you should use these. You can get a better rate from the unlicenced "touts", but it's not advised as it has been known for foreigners to be arrested for this as it's illegal.

One thing that you should bear in mind is that the local population isn't very happy with the current situation, and being Africa, things can change very quickly.

As far as Africa goes, this is a very safe place, but you should still keep your ear to the ground before you get here.

If there's anything else you want to know, I'll try and help.

Sean.

Dublin
reviews: 1
2. Re: Dangers regarding recent military coups

Well - did you travel? - huw was it if so? - I am considering a similar trip myself BAS Dublin

uk
reviews: 2
3. Re: Dangers regarding recent military coups

I travelled to Mauritania last September/October and literally got visas from the Rabat embassy in Morocco not long before we were due to go.

There are loads of police stops, many will want bribes - take lots of cheap sunglasses and t shirts.

It's really useful to make lots of photocopies of your passports before you travel as some military points requested you write down details of your passport - this proved to be a much quicker option. Border crossing into the country from western sahara took 4 hours so be prepared to wait.

Other than that no trouble really. Felt relatively safe.

We were in a rather shoddy ford transit and there were 12 of us, they had no problems letting us through as a group.

Have fun.

4. Re: Dangers regarding recent military coups

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:39 am, December 13, 2009