We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveller's Cheques

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
reviews: 1
Traveller's Cheques

I'm doing an overland trip from Nairobi to Johannesburg in a few weeks and don't really want to take vast amounts of cash with me - is it easy enough to change traveller's cheques in the Kande Beach are? What would be the best currency - GPB/US$/Euro?

Any other suggestions would be welcome?

Thanks!

Ottawa
1. Re: Traveller's Cheques

hi littlemissred,

i used to live/work in malawi (as recently as april of this year) in the tourism industry and we never took traveller's cheques. neither did any of the other lodges in the area. granted, this was in the cape maclear area and kande beach may be different. however, it's not something that i would count on as traveller's cheques, from a lodge owner's perspective, were hard to convert into cash in malawi. so, you may want to keep a bit of currency on hand for this portion of your trip to avoid any potential problems. i recommend USD ($).

alternatively, contact the folks at kande directly to find out what their policy is on traveller's cheques ... email them at info@kandebeach.com.

hope this helps!

travel well :o)

pam - travel consultant - travel beyond

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
2. Re: Traveller's Cheques

Thanks Pam, that's helpful, I'll make sure I have cash!

Sheffield, United...
3. Re: Traveller's Cheques

Hi, the only place you will be able to change travellers cheques are banks and some forex, there is usually a pretty hefty fee for doing so. It can take ages to get them changed. TCs are almost a thing of the past now. Note that a lot of the forex places have been closed recently by the government, as they were giving well above the official rate as the kwacha is overvalued, but the government wont allow a devaluation. Cash is really the only way to go, GBP is OK. Hotels will give a poor rate, banks or forex will be better.

Ivan

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
4. Re: Traveller's Cheques

Thanks Ivan, definitely going for the cash option!

Sheffield, United...
5. Re: Traveller's Cheques

Thanks LittleMissRed for reply, amazing how many people ask questions on here and cant be bothered to say thanks. I hope you have a great time in Malawi, I know I did on many times.

Ivan

6. Re: Traveller's Cheques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 10, 2010