We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa on arrival?

Slovenia
reviews: 1
visa on arrival?

Hi!

Does anybody have any experience or have maybe heard anything about getting Malawi visa at Zambia-Malawi border lately? Is it possible and how much do they charge?

I plan to visit Malawi and South Luangwa NP this summer so I will need double entry visa for Malawi. In Berlin that will cost me 160 EUR (80 EUR single entry) so I was thinking that it might be cheaper to get it at the border.

What about getting visa on arrival at the Lilongwe airport? (I am Slovenia citizen)

Sheffield, United...
1. Re: visa on arrival?

Hi, this is a difficult one, as far as I personally am concerned, as a UK citizen, I don’t have to pay for a visa, and it can be obtained on arrival. Visas are readily obtainable at any port of entry, including the border with Zambia.

As far as I am aware there is no difference in price between a visa obtained at an embassy or a border.

The Malawi web site is very basic, is difficult to find, gives little or no info, and is currently off line. This may be due to the fact that they have just had a general election, so there will be lots of alterations. We rely on our UK.Gov web site for country advice.

It is possible that as a Slovenian passport holder you may have to get your visa prior to travel. Your country is not listed on the Zambia web site so the same may apply there. I would suggest you contact the nearest embassies to confirm your status. I presume you don’t have a government advice web site in your country that would give detailed advice in the same way that the UK.Gov web site does.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful on this one.

Pleased to give help where I can

Ivan

Sheffield, United...
2. Re: visa on arrival?

Hi, if you havn't got already

Embassy of republic of Zambia

Via Ennio Quirino Visconti 8 00193

Rome

Tel 39 0697613035

Fax 39 0636 088824

Mail zamrome@rdn.it

Ivan

Thessaloniki
3. Re: visa on arrival?

I agree with Ivan. Malawi Officials suggest all visitors who are not included in the 'Visa-free list', like the Slovenes and Greeks, to get visa from the nearest Embassy of Malawi BEFORE the arrival in the country. Officially says that is not granted visas at the Lilongwe airport upon arrival. Perhaps true, perhaps not. Personally I will get a visa from the Embassy of Malawi in Brussels (100 euros for single entry visa). The Greek honorary consul in Malawi recommended me to get my visa in advance otherwise may experience problems such as not to allow boarding Kenyan Airways plane from Nairobi. (arriving in Lilongwe on July 4).

4. Re: visa on arrival?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 am, December 05, 2009