We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

Muscat, Oman
reviews: 34
Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

Hi All,

My partner and I are going to Madagascar in August. We have the air tickets already. I have been in touch with two or three agencies and their prices are a bit too high for us (we already paid a fortune for the air tickets).

We have about 20 days and want to go to Andasibe, Tsingy (with a river trip), Kirindy and the Alley of Baobabs and then finish with 3-4 days on Saint Marie. We don't mind camping whenever possible and do not need posh hotels (although hot water is a must!)

For this we have been quoted around 1800 EUR each. Is it reasonable? Would it be better to just rent a car with a guide without the whole package? Any recommendations of a rental place/ a guide that doesn't cost arm and leg? We don't really want to join a group tour....

Any advice would be appreciated since it would be our first time there.

Thanks a lot!

17 replies to this topic
Leigh-on Sea...
reviews: 82
11. Re: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

Just to add that we hired Fredel for day tour of Tana last month and he was great. Very punctual (an hour early in fact!) and speaks good English. He seemed very knowledgeable and a safe driver. May help allay a few worries for those of you thinking about hiring hi. Good luck all.

Pune, India
12. Re: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

dear friends. i have been to madagascar for bird watching now in Sep.2014 and unfortunately used the services of Fredel Mamindra of Sobeha. http://www.sobeha.net, infosobeha@gmail.com Tel +261 33 02 789 45. it was the worst experience i ever had with Fredel and i would request not to use and avoid this guy by all means. he is a big cheat, unprofessional, unreliable and arrogant guy. also have lodged a police complaint and complaint in the tourism board against him. these comments are in the intention to prevent travellers from his trap for who will land on this page in the future. Best Regards, Tehzoon

Leigh-on Sea...
13. Re: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

Oh I am so shocked to hear of your distressing and very upsetting experience. We had a very pleasant time with him which is why I recommended him. We did only hire him for a day but we had no reason not to recommend him. So sorry to hear of your dreadful experience.

Florida
reviews: 13
14. Re: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

Check gmt*3 anja the owner was very accommodating to us on our tour from Sept 3 to 20

Antananarivo...
reviews: 1
15. Re: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

Dear all,

I personally shocked with the thread of Tehzoon here in above. I am going to write a detail of fact soon. I am aware that it cannot be published on tripadvisor but I hope that some people will create a link to this article soon. This is not a place for a private issue.

I always said :"this is a job, and there is no place for joke".

Thank you for taking my thread in consideration and I hope that the moderator won't cancel it.

Leigh-on Sea...
16. Re: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

Well as I said earlier, we two ladies were very pleased with our day with you in June when we visited the lemur park etc. Trust the complaint is either unfounded or is addressed by you. We were delighted with your services even coming an an hour early, and as we weren't ready you happily went away until the agreed time and proved yourself to be a safe driver and good guide. Hope things get sorted.

Vancouver, Canada
17. Re: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

Hi, I just returned from a 5 week tour through Madagascar. It is a beautiful and interesting country to visit but because of the poor infra structure it is difficult to get around there. I would recomment to have a car and driver/guide arranged. The public transportation is difficult. The taxi brousses are packed with people and goods and I saw some really bad accidents. I had Dyna from madagascar-rental-tour as my guide/driver .

He is a very good driver (unfortunately he doesn't have a SUV) but as a guide I would rather have someone more dedicated and interested in being a guide and not a business man. I don't want to go into details but talking to other tourists there are many good guides in Madagascar. I hope you find one and Bon Voyage

Reply to: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted