We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

Muscat, Oman
reviews: 38
Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

Hi All,

My partner and I are going to Madagascar in August. We have the air tickets already. I have been in touch with two or three agencies and their prices are a bit too high for us (we already paid a fortune for the air tickets).

We have about 20 days and want to go to Andasibe, Tsingy (with a river trip), Kirindy and the Alley of Baobabs and then finish with 3-4 days on Saint Marie. We don't mind camping whenever possible and do not need posh hotels (although hot water is a must!)

For this we have been quoted around 1800 EUR each. Is it reasonable? Would it be better to just rent a car with a guide without the whole package? Any recommendations of a rental place/ a guide that doesn't cost arm and leg? We don't really want to join a group tour....

Any advice would be appreciated since it would be our first time there.

Thanks a lot!

17 replies to this topic
1. Re: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, July 07, 2014

2. Re: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, November 12, 2014

Manchester, United...
reviews: 70
3. Re: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

General comment rather than fact based, if you are getting effectively a full time employee, accommodation, a vehicle (presumably without fuel) local knowledge and support for nearly three weeks then what's not to love?

Tour operators can leverage savings because of the volumes they place (which as individuals we cannot) and they may be more willing and capable of negotiating than we are.

That price in the more developed parts of the World would be unachievable, even if you are paying a little extra I try to think of it as my little investment in the people and places I visit.

Sorry if this sounds preachy, it wasn't meant to be.

4. Re: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

Muscat, Oman
5. Re: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

Thanks Rosia B! I have sent them an email.

rolghan p, it's 2 people - me and my partner.

Jondi1, I do not live and work in a developed country and, sadly, my salary reflects it. I'm just trying to find a way to visit the place and not to go bankrupt :). The agencies have been extremely helpful and I'm sure they provide great services, it's me who can't afford the luxury...

Muscat, Oman
6. Re: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

rolghan p - what would a guide cost per day? With a car? How can I contact you?

Edited: 10:46 am, June 21, 2014
7. Re: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 7
8. Re: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

need a pvt guide for walking for one week in madagascar in Jan or Feb 2015. Can u arrange or provide info for same. Pvt guide for one person, walking, csamping thanks, steve

Ohio City, Colorado
9. Re: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

Hi everyone,

Just receiving an interesting proposal and advice from Fredel M (infosobeha@gmail.com). They rent a 4wd with a driver speaking English for 40 euro on-road and 45 euro per day offroad.

Just click here http://www.sobeha.net/index.php/en/ and you will know how to estimate your travel expense.

We will do it for sure!

Christina H.

Cardiff, United...
10. Re: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise

Hi all,

My wife and I are thinking about visiting Madagascar, arriving in Tana on the 20th July and Leaving on the 21st of August. We're also looking for a cheap option to get around and see some of the wildlife (Andisebe NP?) before spending some time at Ile Sainte Marie. If we have time we'd then like to travel a little further up the east coast as we've heard that there are some good NPs and beaches. W'd like to keep the price down as much as possible and will be bringing a tent and sleeping bags. Does anyone know whether camping is an option in Madagascar? Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Reply to: Trip to Madagascar with an agency vs. on our own? Price-wise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted