We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4-5 days overview tour in Madagascar in September

Tel-Aviv
reviews: 3
4-5 days overview tour in Madagascar in September

Me and my wife are planning to have 4-5 days layover in Madagascar on our way to Mauritius from South Africa. This is our first time and we would like to taste some Madagascar classics (lemurs, baobabs, etc.). We will arrive to and depart from Antananarivo airport.

Your advice will be very helpful, thanks.

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
reviews: 34
1. Re: 4-5 days overview tour in Madagascar in September

Hello,

within that short time you don't have a lot of options, among them:

option 1: arrive in Antananarivo, fly to Morondava and visit the dry deciduous forest of Kirindy to see lemurs and the Fosa, and the alley of Baobabs. Return to Antananarivo and fly out.

option 2: focus on the rainforest ( no baobabs ), drive to Andasibe and see lemurs. Spend a few nights there and drive back to Antananarivo to catch your Mauritius flight.

option 1 will be more expensive because of the flights involved, just give yourself a good margin between the domestic flights and your international flights.

Finally, option 1 and 2 can be combined if you have 5 days and timing of your flights are working well.

St. Albans, United...
reviews: 5
2. Re: 4-5 days overview tour in Madagascar in September

I agree with Haja R. Madagascar is a BIG country so you're best trying to focus on one aspect and enjoy that. We went a few years ago and in two weeks barely scratched the surface.

I'm still kicking myself for not seeing the Avenue of the Baobabs so I think Haja's option 1 is a good one. We really liked seeing the lemurs and you're not going to see those in the wild anywhere else in the world.

Personally, I didn't get much enjoyment from Antananarivo so I'd suggest minimising your time there.

3. Re: 4-5 days overview tour in Madagascar in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 19, 2014