We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

Ashford, United...
reviews: 4
Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

I am hopefully going to stay on Nosy Be on a marine conservation course for 5 or 6 weeks. I read that in 2012 there were riots in Tana & I know that the country isn't politically stable. I was just wondering if anyone had been recently and if they had an inkling of what is going on (UK foreign office advice isn't fab). Basically is it safe to go to Nosy Be & spend a few days in Tana?

Also I have heard bad things about air Madagascar. Is it worth using them?

In addition are there any unmissable things to do in Madagascar?

Also I read that getting money out in Madagascar can be tricky as you can't always use a debit card -what would you recommend?

Thanks Everyone

39 replies to this topic
Morris, MN USA
reviews: 1
21. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

Hi, All,

I did not dye my hair and that advice I had received was really off. As everyone has said on this forum, the people of Madagascar are really lovely and I never, ever felt in any danger: even in the big cities.

I am sooo glad I checked with you all!

Madagascar is a fantastic country: I will definitely return as soon as I can!

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
reviews: 34
22. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

Hello Sarah,

glad we could help and provide useful advice. Thanks in advance for spreading good words about our countries and break those misconceptions.

Veloma!

Antananarivo...
reviews: 119
23. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

No way! Don't dye your hair - you will lose the 10% discount for the blondes!

Manchester, United...
reviews: 64
24. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

Ha ha ha ha Quality post!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 111
25. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

There are not ATMs in all cities and many limit how much you can take and are often out of money. Tana is not safe. I spent time traveling there in 2012 and felt ok out of Tana. Love the country.

Johannesburg, South...
26. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

From the above it seems to be safe to visit Madagascar. We will be a party of three women and intend travelling from Tanananarivo to Nosy Boraha by road. We have been told that there are no car hire companies with sound vehicles and they tend to break down rather often. I need to find a reputable car hire company and get the pricing rather urgently as if we cannot find this info we will have to cancel our holiday, many thanks for your assistance

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 111
27. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

That's right, you cannot rent a car and often cars are stopped by the police. You will see money change hands. We had a driver who drove us and made sure we had places to sleep etc. I have no idea how else someone can travel there. In fact, there are not even as many roads as you would think.

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
reviews: 34
28. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

It is definitely possible to rent a car and you are not obliged to bribe policemen when they stop you. The check-points are quite normal, they just want to do their job and make sure cars have all paperwork in order. For sure, for North Americans it's unusual to witness that since it never happens in their home - countries.

If your driver need to bribe them it means there is something wrong with the car paperwork or you have rented a car which does not belong to a car rental business.

Honestly I never had to give money to police at check-points. Just make sure you get a car from a licensed company.

If you need urgent help, please feel free to MP.

Johannesburg, South...
29. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

Many thanks for your reply all the info provided so far has been very helpfull. Could you suggest some car rental companies together with their contact details so that we can get hold of them to make the necessary arrangements. There are a number of horror stories about visiting your beautiful island which I am sure are not warranted, crime is common all over the world and we have all had to adjust our way of life to avoid being targeted. Once again many thanks for your advice and information

Antananarivo...
30. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

Hi,

There are many good tour companies and can only rent cars to you but they also can organize your trip all over Madagascar and we have also only car rental companies but I always suggest people to use local tour companies or local car rental companies, and what I mean by local is a good company owned by a Malagasy citizen because patronizing local businesses keeps money going into local pockets and help build a fledgling ecotourism industry in Madagascar. You can contact Madagascar Natural Tours at madanaturaltours@gmail.com

cheers

Jaoz

Reply to: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted