We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with family to Ghana to volunteer with IVHQ

Which Accra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Travelling with family to Ghana to volunteer with IVHQ

we are traveling to Ghana 14 July 2013 with IVHQ to volunteer, not sure of placement yet, but wondering how we would go abouts getting to Tamale , would it be plane,bus, etc? any help would be appreciated. Any tips, ideas, etc would be helpful.

Best Regards

12 replies to this topic
Accra, Ghana
1. Re: Travelling with family to Ghana to volunteer with IVHQ

You can travel from Accra to Tamale either by bus or plane. A plane ride is quick and reasonably inexensive now. A bus ride could be comfortable, but one hour in a plane versus a dozen or more hours in a bus makes this an easy decision.

You can choose between a number of domestic airlines, which is why this route has dropped significantly in price compared to a couple years ago. You can check Fly540Africa, Antrak Air, Starbow or Africa World Airlines.

So fly unless you want to visit all the beautiful sites along the way. You would pass Kumasi, our second largest city and home to the largest outdoor market in West Africa. Kintampo Falls, craft villages, the Boabeng-Fiema monkey sanctuary and the Bobiri butterfly sanctuary are some of the other fun stops along your route.

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 169
2. Re: Travelling with family to Ghana to volunteer with IVHQ

STC bus to Tamale takes 12 hours from Accra and runs about 20 dollars US

Accra, Ghana
3. Re: Travelling with family to Ghana to volunteer with IVHQ

Hey

Please save yourself and family all the TROUBLE first time visitors to Tamale go through and fly with Starbow or Antrak. Travelling by road can be extremely tedious.Moreover OUR ROADS IN GHANA ARE NOT TOO SAFE-I must be frank with you.This is not to scare you anyway.

You can attempt the road travel when you are say visiting Accra or Kumasi some time later or maybe when you are returning home.

Edited: 3:08 am, February 21, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 169
4. Re: Travelling with family to Ghana to volunteer with IVHQ

I took the bus, it was nice to see the country side. Added to the trip

Accra, Ghana
5. Re: Travelling with family to Ghana to volunteer with IVHQ

Good to hear you enjoyed it.I am pretty sure it was tiring as well :-)

ACCRA
6. Re: Travelling with family to Ghana to volunteer with IVHQ

Nice to hear of your trip to volunteer in Ghana.As others has suggested to you I will like to add to this that it is safer for your family first time in Ghana to volunteer in Accra with an organisation who can also plan a beautiful and safer trip for your family to the Northern region if you want to travel around Ghana after your volunteering.I recommend Prime Care Network ( www.pcnprojects.org ) for you.They provides a wide range of volunteering opportunities for families and groups, and they have experience with better hospitality for volunteers and tourists.You can send them email: pcnprojects@yahoo.com

Edited: 3:01 am, June 19, 2013
reviews: 14
7. Re: Travelling with family to Ghana to volunteer with IVHQ

Doesn't the organization greet you and take you to volunteer destination? My daughter is going with a group in March

Accra, Ghana
8. Re: Travelling with family to Ghana to volunteer with IVHQ

I nice to traveling with bus.you will cc many things on road. let whatsapp 0246594842

Accra, Ghana
9. Re: Travelling with family to Ghana to volunteer with IVHQ

I nice to traveling with bus.you will cc many things on road. let whatsapp 0246594842

Accra, Ghana
10. Re: Travelling with family to Ghana to volunteer with IVHQ

Reply to: Travelling with family to Ghana to volunteer with IVHQ
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Accra