We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six days in Addis

Which Addis Ababa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newport Beach...
Six days in Addis

I currently have a trip planned for six days in Addis. Will there be enough to keep busy during that time in the city? There's a handful of things I see popping up as recommended like the Ethnological Museum, etc. but it I don't have a whole lot on my itinerary right now.

Also, should I feel free to take pictures while I'm out and about or would the camera be likely to be snatched or make me stick out even more to the pick pockets, etc.? It's a pretty nice one, so I'd hate to lose it, but also want to capture the trip. Carrying it around, it fits in my front pocket, but is pretty bulky and obvious it's in my pocket.

5 replies to this topic
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
reviews: 6
1. Re: Six days in Addis

It seems very long Time . If Addis is your type of Enjoyable city you will definatly be Bussy walking , using the Minibuses, and diffrent atrctions.

You dont have to worry about it If you stay on the main Street. For precaution Hold your camera tightly. You dont have to worry.

Never herd of Camera snatching . There are Mobile phone Snatching DURING when the day is getting Dark and some neighboyr hoods.

If you get in Merkato byourself becarful the palce around the recycling Market ( Min alesha Tera).

2. Re: Six days in Addis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:23 am, March 06, 2014

addis ababa ethiopia
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
reviews: 38
3. Re: Six days in Addis

just to confess post 2 is really from me. Using computer where someone else had already signed in to TA...

Ethiopia
reviews: 83
4. Re: Six days in Addis

depends on what your hobbies are. If you are a keen photographer there are incredible places for that ultimate snap. If you are a walker/hiker there are great hills to climb and beautiful country walks to do just outside Addis. If you are into museums and churches, there are many to visit. If you are into food, there are restaurants galore to try. You can use one of the many tour companies and head to Langano where there is the only lake without bilharzia and where watersport is offered. The drive passes several other lakes where you can spot hippos and numerous birds. If you are into ethnic shopping Mercato - the largest open market in Africa is a must but you need a guide as very easy to get lost and as someone else mentioned a place for pickpockets but the guide would take care of you. Like most countries you do need to be careful and your best bet is to take your camera in a backpack and take it out when needed i.e. do not hang it around your neck or arm. I have lived on and off in Addis on three separate occasions and have always felt safe, but we have heard of recent attacks in the city. My husband has had his cell phone nicked by a bunch of kids who tend to surround you and whilst some distract you others are relieving you of your possesions, but this can happen in most countries now if you are not alert. Having said all this you will be in awe of Ethiopia....it is truly a beautiful and photographic country, and the people are mesmerizing and ever so friendly.

5. Re: Six days in Addis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, March 06, 2014

Reply to: Six days in Addis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted