We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend a local guide in Addis

Which Addis Ababa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California USA
reviews: 29
Recommend a local guide in Addis

Traveling solo in July, I was apprehensive about walking around by myself. I never went out at night alone and I walked around alone once during the day and was not able to find my way to where I wanted to go. Not only were the streets confusing but I received a lot of attention walking around with stares and people calling out. This may be because I was in Addis during low season and I saw very few foreigners walking around. I never feared for my safety but many people held out their hands begging once they saw me. And two kids followed me and pestered me for money and would not leave me alone. That was the last time I tried to walk around on my own.

This is where my local guide came in handy. Genet Mengistu is a student at a tourism college and she’s a great guide and companion. She doesn’t have a car so we took public transport around the city, which was a wonderful local experience. She also helped me bargain when souvenir shopping. I highly recommend her services. She charges $8 for less than 5 hours; $6 if more than 5 hours; and even less if for more than 1 day.

Genet Mengistu

mobile: +251 910 66 6029;

email: genetmengistu@yahoo.com

6 replies to this topic
addis ababa ethiopia
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
reviews: 38
1. Re: Recommend a local guide in Addis

Would also strongly recommend this lady.

Slightly better to contact her by text as she is very busy and doesn't get to email cafe's too often

addis ababa ethiopia
Destination Expert
2. Re: Recommend a local guide in Addis

Genet finishes her course at the tourist college very shortly so will have more time available for Addis City Tours soon.

sudan
reviews: 16
3. Re: Recommend a local guide in Addis

Hi GEN

I am tariq 39 male working in the UN at SUDAN and basically from Pakistan. I will be arriving in Addis on 27th Sep and will be visiting different places in Ethiopia till 7th october 2013. I have read a post on the travel advisor about you , Is it possible for you to guide me also when i will be there . I know you are a student , so as much time you can give you can or you can referr it some other guide. I am solo travellor and also looking for some partner to split up the costs of the tour.

thanks, waiting for the early reply and advises,

Malik Tariq Mahboob

UNITED NATIONS AT SUDAN

tma4u2003@yahoo.com

addis ababa ethiopia
Destination Expert
4. Re: Recommend a local guide in Addis

Hi

Just to say genet does not always have internet at homem so she ;ay not have seen this post<, I suggest you Ring her when u arrive, I know she already has two tourists she is showing round on the 27th,,,

Addis Ababa...
5. Re: Recommend a local guide in Addis

how much guide cost

Split, Croatia
reviews: 66
6. Re: Recommend a local guide in Addis

First and foremost I have to thank to destination expert for Addis Ababa, addisadvisor, who suggested me to contact Genet Mengistu. Thanks to him and Genet my husband and I have spent 2 wonderful days in Addis.

It would be difficult to write something about her that has not been written yet. Yes, she is exactly everything you could read in TA forums about her. Charming, knowledgeable, patient, entertaining, polite ... but there is one side of her personality that stroke me most: her patriotism. Having met many professional guides in all parts of the world it is quite simple to understand after first 2 or 3 introductory phrases what kind of person you have to deal with. After shaking hands with Genet it was clear that we have met a modest and unpretentious person but as time was passing we could discover more and more about her uniqueness. She loves her country deeply and shows it in her characteristic way - quietly and modestly. She admires all the great people of Ethiopia, whether we talk of ex-emperors or athletes, she is proud to be part of that great people who has suffered so much in past.

When I asked her about Red Terror Museum (she didn't take us there) she said simply that it would be too painful for her. Her family and friends were victims of red terror and she still can't forget those terrible times. At the end of this short review I'd like to thank Genet for making us love her country and hope to be back for a longer stay. Do not change, Genet. Stay as you are: perfect.

Reply to: Recommend a local guide in Addis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted