We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

Which Addis Ababa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

Hello,

How safe is the Addis Ababa airport for a 24 year old girl traveling by herself with an overnight layover? My layover is about 5 hours. I will not be leaving the airport. I've been reading other threads and posts online on other sites and it sounds pretty safe but most of them are for men or groups of people traveling together.

Also, I read something about a transit visa..is this only for people leaving the airport or does anyone staying overnight in the airport require this?

Thanks for any help in advance!

67 replies to this topic
addis ababa ethiopia
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
reviews: 38
1. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

Totally safe. There are even loungers now ie you can lie flat......Good idea to have something to read - no magazine shops here.........Food/drink expensive as in all airports.

BUT when you get to departure area there is a cheaper cafe/restaurant - cheaper as it is still government owned. Instead of going in the "obvious to find" cafes in the first row of shops you see in departure area - go behind that row where you will find second row. Go to the EAST end of that row (Gates 1-4 end) and you will see Ethiopia Hotels Enterprise cafe........quite a lot cheaper. Pretty sure they will take dollars ?? Have low dollar notes ?? There is even a tiny bank in departures now - also in the back row.....

Transit visa only for those going out of airport.

Those of living in Addis never go through the Transit experiences - please post anything good for others to know. Thanks.

Columbus, Ohio
2. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

Thank you!! Really appreciate your help

Norwich
3. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

We are going to be travelling with two small children (4 and 8 years) and will be at the airport from 2050 at night, only leaving next day at 0115. I was under the impression that the lounges were only for people in the Business class. We are travelling Economy.

addis ababa ethiopia
Destination Expert
4. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

Lounges yes as you say, though you can pay for entry I believe.

By "loungers" I mean sunbed type things like you get at hotel pools.......There are some of these available and a lot of seats. Cafes and shops will be open though not the quantity in other airports. Where are you going on to from Addis as that will effect which terminal you are departing from. Your stopover is fairly quick and they will get you in the gate area by 60-100minutes before take off so best to use facilities in the first 2 hours...

Norwich
5. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

We are travelling on to Jo'burg (from London) .

Outbound

We arrive at Addis 0715 +1 and leave for Jo'burg 0850

Basically get off the plane and move to the next terminal for the connecting flight!

Inbound

Arrive Addis 2050 and only leave following morning at 0115 for London

So this is the long stop over where we need to know about facilities.

addis ababa ethiopia
Destination Expert
6. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

Ok so this will only involve Terminal 2.

You should be on a Dreamliner LHR to ADD but a middle aged but totally safe, 767 to Joburg.Joburg flight is nice and civilised with sensible arrival time.

On return trip you will find lots of shops in T2 departure area plus 3 cafes which take dollars. The cheapest café cos it is govt owned ( it is called Eth Hotels Enterprises..) is in the back row behind rest of more obvious units (at eastern end - gates 1-4 signs..). Souvenir type places are very pricy.

Also the loungers I described....................

Have you been to OT airport in Joburg before ? Can give you some info if it helps as we holiday in SA quite a lot...

Norwich
7. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

Thanks very much for all your help! we are South Africans from Joburg, returning back for a holiday. Regards for now ...

addis ababa ethiopia
Destination Expert
8. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

Ok.... cant say enjoy Bole transit but hope it goes smoothly. If you discover anything bad or good would appreciate it if you post it here as I never have the Bole (addis) transit experience!!!..

Minneapolis...
9. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

Hi,

I have a very short layover in Addis and am wondering if it is an easier to navigate airport? Coming from the states with my next flight being to Harare.

addis ababa ethiopia
Destination Expert
10. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

yes you will come into Term 2 building and go out from there.. Just follow signs for transitor ask staff which way to go..You may need to collect your boarding card forHarare if they do not give it to you at US check in.

Reply to: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted