We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Ehtiopian

Which Addis Ababa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, D.C.
reviews: 2
Safety in Ehtiopian

I am going to Addis and southern areas for two weeks the end of March. Do you consider this safe as long as we avoid the area near Somalia? thanks

addis ababa ethiopia
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
reviews: 36
1. Re: Safety in Ehtiopian

Of course its safe, Why should it not be safe. Addis is a 100 times safer than New York or Washington or London or Nairobi or Johannesburg..

Washington, D.C.
2. Re: Safety in Ehtiopian

Great to hear. My concern is not Addis but rather the southern section. I just saw the Australian government issued an advisory against all travel to all Ethiopia, and I read on the US State Department advisory page today that there are three areas to avoid at all costs (near Kenya, Somalia, and Eritrea.) Then I read of recent tourist kidnappings from a bus in the southern part, and Al Queda raids in the eastern part of Ethiopia.

We are a small group of six and have two drivers, so we should be safe, don't you think? .

I read some of your other comments about the country and they only fed my enthusiasm in a very positive way. I already love the people from my experiences in Washington.

Thanks again.

Columbus Ohio
reviews: 87
3. Re: Safety in Ehtiopian

We just returned from an 18 day trip to Ethiopia and it is one of the safest countries we have visited in years. The South Omo is amazing to say the least and was the highlight of our journey. You are in for such an wonderful adventure that you will be smiling for weeks after returning home.

Have a great time and remember to pack your smile and sense of humor. We LOVED Ethiopia and it is my new best trip ever and I have been to over 50 countries including many on the African continent:-)

4. Re: Safety in Ehtiopian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, March 06, 2014
London
reviews: 29
5. Re: Safety in Ehtiopian

I agree. One of the safest cities in the world. No violence. Admittedly there are pickpockets, and there can be a lot of hassle. It's always good-natured though.

Here, from an earlier post, is how I avoided both problems and had a great time:

Addis is perfectly safe, apart from pocket-picking and bag-snatching. But unless you take my advice your visit will be spoilt by hustlers and beggars. I met a very cool dude on the street and hired him by the day for less than £10 (if you're on a tight budget, I'm sure he would take less). Best investment I've made. He sorted me out with a SIM card and a few other things I couldn't easily have got on my own, watched my back, fended off hustlers, prevented me getting cheated, showed me how to get around on the minibuses, negotiated cab fares, took me to some great cheap restaurants, juice places, bars, fascinating bits of local colour and great nightlife. He was a great companion too - intelligent sociology graduate, very good English and turned a lot of ladies' heads. Without him it would have been an unproductive and stressful time.

His name is Dawit, he lives near the Taitu, and you can call him on 0918606191 (int. 00 251 918606191) email: berhanu.kefle@gmail.com He's usually free.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 64
6. Re: Safety in Ehtiopian

Addis is one of the safest cities in the world?

Those sort of statements are based on what facts? I'm not saying Addis is not safe (I don't know either way but I wasn't very comfortable there at night, but that is, of course, my individual perception based on attempted pickpocketings, being crowded by young men etc) I'm just interested to know where people get their information.

Washington, D.C.
7. Re: Safety in Ehtiopian

Thank you very much for your comments. I have only heard great comments on the country and it is so nice to hear them confirmed once again by you. I can not wait to visit and particularly the Omo region. You made me even more excited. Thanks again.

Washington, D.C.
8. Re: Safety in Ehtiopian

Thank you for this good information. I will try them tomorrow. Appreciate this.

San Diego...
reviews: 71
9. Re: Safety in Ehtiopian

We just returned from a one month trip in Ethiopia over the weekend. We went to the south, specifically the Omo Valley. We had a driver/guide and it was very safe. We also went to Harar (near the Somalian border) & even did our Danakil adventure (literally on the border with Eritrea) and we never felt unsafe. Omo Valley is truly fascinating and you will enjoy the rich and unique mosaic of the tribal lives in the region despite the long days of driving... BTW, I just posted my hotel reviews on TA in case you are interested. Enjoy your lifetime experience in Ethiopia.

Addis Ababa...
10. Re: Safety in Ehtiopian

Addis Ababa, Ethipia one of the safest city.if u want come to Ethiopia well come.

if you want to be safe more we can pick by car from airport to our Guest house or to your choice hotel, and move you any where you want tour.

For more information contact

email: addis_guest@yahoo.com

www.addishoteloch.com