We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shipping household goods to Addis

Which Addis Ababa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pays de Gex
reviews: 12
shipping household goods to Addis

If I am shipping household goods to Addis (furniture, cookware, clothing, books but not a vehicle), and I am NOT entitled to duty free status or it is beyond the 6 month period when new arrivals have duty free status, can someone give me some indication of what duty taxes I am likely to pay? Is there a way of finding out in advance how much duty to pay on stuff? Does it go by amount or what it actually is -- like old couch or new rug or whatever?

Thank you!

addis ababa ethiopia
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
reviews: 36
1. Re: shipping household goods to Addis

Verydifficultto be exact....

They charge what they feel like.

The organisation you are coming with should help to sort it - get it out of customs.

Better to send by air. We sent a container of educational stuff from UK in July.....still not here. The organisdation of containers in via Djibouti is pathetically slow. Air may seem to cost moreBUT it arrives quickly. We will have to pay loads on storeage in Djibouti because the government controlled system of getting containers up from Djibouti is grossly ineffiecient like most things here.

Ethiopia has incredible bureaucracy and too much government!!

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
reviews: 4
2. Re: shipping household goods to Addis

Yes !

There is some formula how you can calculate the tax you are going to pay on the price of the goods. Simple but It will not be your favourite.

The customs also have their own price for goods to be imported so it should be calculated on theire price .

I know the price list is downloadable form the web.

And also some internet cafe sale it on CD.

If i find the link or something i will let you know.

Pays de Gex
3. Re: shipping household goods to Addis

Thanks! Very helpful if you do find a link for the custom duties please let me know.

Pays de Gex
4. Re: shipping household goods to Addis

Thanks very much. We were in touch earlier and your guidance was very helpful. My husband is with the UN and has already arrived in Addis. But the rest of the family, meaning me and the boys, do not plan to arrive until after the end of the school year, which means after the 6 month duty free window. Trying to figure out what to do about our household effects . . . Sigh. Isn't there also customs duty on air freight?

addis ababa ethiopia
Destination Expert
reviews: 36
5. Re: shipping household goods to Addis

Yes thereisduty on air freight. You should not have to pay duty, to the best of my knowledge, on any personal things/property.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
6. Re: shipping household goods to Addis

Ps. Also Follow addis advisor advice on ports time.

This is the web page try to find the downloadable document . Have no good connection now to see the document.

www.erca.gov.et/index.jsp…

and join this expanse group grouse you can have more info . I found the most effective groups .

Addis dioplo-list

Oddsnaddis

Edited: 9:28 am, January 18, 2013
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
7. Re: shipping household goods to Addis

The above groups members are mostly expats reside in Addis Ababa.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
8. Re: shipping household goods to Addis

hope you join the above Google groups I mentioned for more information to ask .

how to calculate

first you need to find the goods HS-code @

www.erca.gov.et/index.jsp?id=search_hs_code

then calculate with this online calculator

http://www.erca.gov.et/index.jsp?id=tax_calc

sorry cant able to find the download version of price list Try to find the cd from Addis

the formula of the calculation is looks like this

Customs - Customs Duty and Tariff

Importers to Ethiopia are required to pay Import (Customs) duty, Withholding Tax (a fixed rate of 3%), Excise Tax (if applicable), VAT (a fixed rate of 15%) and Surtax (a fixed rate of 10%).

Tariff Calculator:

Total Cost of the goods = FOB Cost + Insurance + Freight

Total Cost of the goods x Import Customs Duty = A

(Total Cost of the goods + A) x Excise Tax Rate (If applicable) = B

(Total Cost of the goods + A + B) x VAT = C

(Total Cost of the goods + A + B + C) x Surtax = D

Total Cost of the goods x Withholding Tax = E

TOTAL PAYABLE at THE TIME OF IMPORT = A+B+C+D+E

Note:There are some goods that may be exempted from one or more of the taxes and duties mentioned above. To find out more, one can visit http://www.erca.gov.et/hscode.jsp to check the HS code, and, http://www.erca.gov.et/tax_calculation.jsp where one can find an online tax calculator. Both are provided by the Ethiopian Revenue and Customs Authority.

Pays de Gex
9. Re: shipping household goods to Addis

Thank you so much! This is all really helpful.

10. Re: shipping household goods to Addis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 25, 2014