We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in addis in january?

Which Addis Ababa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
weather in addis in january?

hi guys... i'm planning a trip to addis in jan 2013. I really wanted to know what the weather is like from early to mid january in addis? i'll be mostly in addis. I've seen pictures and it looks sunny but is it humid and hot or more like spring where it's sunny outside but it's nice and cool? i'll really appreciate it if someone could help me with this. thanks

Seattle, Washington
1. Re: weather in addis in january?

sorry i meant to say mid january to late january...

addis ababa ethiopia
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
reviews: 38
2. Re: weather in addis in january?

Excellent time to visit. Hot but not humid.. Middle of dry season so should be no rain ( I put it that way as in recent years we tend to get a cloudy few days about once a month even in January.............but significant rain is highly UNLIKELY.)

Big factor in Addis and northern places is ALTITUDe so huge range of temp between day and night.

Addis in Jan 28C at lunchtime 4C at 3 am......

In Addis evenings you need a jumper or track top to take with you from 5pm onwards.

In Addis no one eats OUTSIDE in the evenings - unless in a restaurant garden with a fire lit.......

At lunchtime in Addis many restaurants have a covered /shaded/ tent like area for dinners...........as no one would eat out IN THE SUN at lunchtime.....

If i play golf anytime 1000--1700 i get sunburnt round my neck.......

IF you are going to the lowlands eg Rift Valley areas it is just hotter.....

Even In Bahar Dar and places like Bishoftu 40 km south of Addis - which are still highlands but a lot lower, it is warm enough to eat outside in the evening....

Addis Ababa...
reviews: 52
3. Re: weather in addis in january?

WOW

JANUARY IS THE BEST month to come to Ethiopia to see it in the annual Timkat/Epiphany JAN26-27 and Ethiopian Chrstmas JAN 8

THe weather is sunny not very dry comfortable any ways

Seattle, Washington
4. Re: weather in addis in january?

@addisadvisor... thanks for the detailed explanation. I usually hate the heat!! i actually was hoping it would rain or be cool. I suppose as long as it's not humid and if the evenings are cool... thanks again.

Seattle, Washington
5. Re: weather in addis in january?

@tade thanks for the reply... i can't wait to be there for timket...

Kingston, Canada
reviews: 5
6. Re: weather in addis in january?

Hey,I will be there from Jan,9th till the 19th.Thanks for the info.

7. Re: weather in addis in january?

Well i am in ethiopia right i actually live here these four days it was raining but its not cold at all...!!!

8. Re: weather in addis in january?

You are right i love Timket (Ethiopian Epiphany)It is so cool,the drums and all and its on the 20th of january

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
reviews: 6
9. Re: weather in addis in january?

To see the celebration go to the churches at January 18 after noon accompany the priest , the replica of the arc of the covenant and the people.

Saturday January 19 morning from jammed or other location where it symbolized as river of Jordan acompany to come back in different route to the church.

So it is Jan 18 and 19. i Had to see the see the western callander . We still live in ethiopian callander .

Have a blessed Hollyday.

addis ababa ethiopia
Destination Expert
reviews: 38
10. Re: weather in addis in january?

Addis currently having one of the rainy few days in middleof dry season...due to end Sat ? Check out any web weather forecast site..