We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Both sides over two nights

Which Victoria Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
reviews: 1
Both sides over two nights

My girlfriend and I are thinking of visiting Vic Falls for two nights. I can fly into either Vic Falls or Livingstone, and back out of either two. Flights up arrive around 1pm, and I was thinking of flying into Livingstone, seeing the Zambian side and having a drink at the Vic Falls Hotel, then crossing to the Zim side and spending the whole of the next day walking around the falls. One more night and then to the airport the next morning to return.

Couple of questions:

1. What do people think of this?

2. We will travel light, but I am worried about not having anywhere to put our bags on the Zambian side while we look around - any suggestions?

3. I'm not really into a sunset cruise, but which side is better for meal and a little nightlife (by this I mean just a good place to have a beer or two and relax)

4. Would it be better to stay a night in Livingstone, cross over the next night and check in?

Many thanks!

Gaborone, Botswana
reviews: 76
1. Re: Both sides over two nights

I have never been to Livingstone but have done Vic falls many times. If I were you I would fly into Vic falls check into a hotel and cross over for activities on the Zambian side(this will enable the zim hotel to keep my bags as I explore the Zimbabwe side ). The border post closes at 2200hrs and there is traffic most of the time

South Africa
reviews: 14
2. Re: Both sides over two nights

If you are flying from South Africa, I would fly in to and out of Vic Falls (Zim side) mainly because of the yellow fever requirement if you fly via Livingstone. Strictly speaking you will need the yellow fever certificate anyway even if you just visit Livingstone for one night, but in my experience they never ask for it if you fly out of Vic Falls again, even if you have a Zambia stamp in your passport. Of course it is safer to take the jab and we always recommend taking it, but if you are one of those people who prefers to avoid the YF jab (for cost saving or other reasons), I suggest you fly in and out of Vic Falls.

Itinerary wise, you can either spend both nights on the Zim side and then visit the Zambian side just for the day, or spend the first night on the Zim side, then cross over and spend the second night on the Zambia side. To enjoy a meal and a beer at night, I would consider Mama Afrika on the Zim side and perhaps the Waterfront on the Zambian side, which always seems to have a lively atmosphere.

Hope this helps.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

London, UK
reviews: 1
3. Re: Both sides over two nights

Thanks all for this... Having done a load more research, I think we are going to skip Zambia all together.

When you factor in double entry visas, taxis, yellow fever (if we play it safe) vaccine and park fees, I think we will instead stay in Zim, and spend the money on a microlight flight instead...

We've now got tickets to Zim return so just looking for accommodation. Budget dictates Rainbow or Ursula, but think the former based on location.

Thanks for your help,

Rohan

Singapore, Singapore
4. Re: Both sides over two nights

I might be mistaken, but I think the mirocllights runs from the Zambia side.

If that is the case, you may still have to cross the border.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Re: Both sides over two nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 28, 2014