We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Falls - BA Flight & Visa!

Which Victoria Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
reviews: 3
Victoria Falls - BA Flight & Visa!

For a variety of reasons we will arrive in August on the BA flight into VFA which I know lands after the SAA flight.

Last time we were there we were at the front of the queue (arrived on SAA flight), but even so it couldn’t be described as a rapid experience and we heard from some that they had taken hours (not sure if that’s an exaggeration) to get through immigration.

We need to get through quickly due to our travel plans (and changing to SAA flight isn’t an option).

- Are the queues really that bad?

- Would it make a significant difference if we got our visa before departing, i.e. would that allow us to avoid the queues or would we still end up queuing?

Thanks...

16 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 27
1. Re: Victoria Falls - BA Flight & Visa!

I would just try and get your visas before its less hassle. Hopefully they have sped things up now but you just have to be smart as there is no clear line for visitors, citizens

Washington DC...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Victoria Falls - BA Flight & Visa!

Hi,

There is a line for people who have visas but I can't say it is a whole lot faster than the line to actually buy your visa. The problem is that all the flights from Jo'burg to Vic Falls arrive around the same time so depending on how full the flights are, it can be quick or very slow.

You should give yourself an hour for sure at the airport to get your visa and transfer on to wherever.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 31
3. Re: Victoria Falls - BA Flight & Visa!

We were there over Easter -30th March a Saturday. We were seated in the last row on the Comair flight from Jo'burg and were the last to get out of the airport. Took us 1.5 to 2 hours. Two members of my family had got visas beforehand and they got out within half an hour. You just have to tell them that you have a visa so that you do not stand in the wrong queue. The cost for them was $80 for the visa up-front. The worst nightmare was leaving Vic Falls -Comair flight was 2 hours delayed and we missed our connecting flight from Jo'burg to Cape Town. Communication by the Comair Rep was poor.

Sydney
reviews: 13
4. Re: Victoria Falls - BA Flight & Visa!

We too arrived after the SAA flight and was also in the last row of the ComAir flight from Joburg. Took 1.5 hours to go through immigration. Found it quicker to buy multiple entry visa - cost USD 45.

San Jose, California
reviews: 42
5. Re: Victoria Falls - BA Flight & Visa!

How do you buy visa before hand? I thought you can only buy the visas in person with $45 USD in cash at the airport.

We will also be arriving on the BA flight in early August. So, if I can buy the visa early to shorten the wait time at the airport, I will definitely do that.

Anyone know if delays occur often with these BA flights? When we return to Joburg, we have a 4 hour window to catch an international flight home.

Bedford, Virginia
reviews: 1
6. Re: Victoria Falls - BA Flight & Visa!

We're also on the BA flights in August and I've noticed they have added another BA flight arriving just 10 minutes before the original BA flight. So that means we will have two flights ahead of us. Maybe that also means they will have more immigration staff on duty. Do they usually add another flight in August?

We only have 3 hrs for our international transfer on the way back through jnb. I'm told that should be plenty of time if there are no flight delays. We will only have carryon so that will cut out a step or two.

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 27
7. Re: Victoria Falls - BA Flight & Visa!

It is a busy time of the year and that's why they may have decided to add flights. It shouldn't be much of a problem and you will have plenty time to get to your next flight

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 31
8. Re: Victoria Falls - BA Flight & Visa!

We e mailed the Zimbabwe Consulate in Australia and got the visa form and sent it back to Canberra with a Bank Cheque as requested. Not too sure if they will issue a visa upfront if you can get it at the airport. Citizens of some countries need to get a visa up-front. 4 hours to connect at Johannesburg should be fine -our delay was 2hrs and 34mts -we had 2 hours 45mts between flights and it was not enough because of the delay. Not sure if this is a regular or one-off delay. It helps if you have one ticket for the onward journey.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 2
9. Re: Victoria Falls - BA Flight & Visa!

Hi Thilakawathie

How did you go with applying for the Visa before hand and how much did it cost, and was it a double entry visa?

Thanks

Amanda

Victoria Falls...
reviews: 3
10. Re: Victoria Falls - BA Flight & Visa!

I will suggest you buy your double visa before you come to Zimbabwe as August will be a very busy month for both Zimbabwe and Zambia are hosting the UN World Tourism Summit so it’s going to be crazy over 4000 people expected. Once you have visa in your passport you don’t join the queue just go straight and get your passport stamped. On the last meeting I attended as a tour of operator the immigration and minister of tourism proposed to have immigration officers on every flight from JNB to Vic falls so that every paper work can be done before you even get to Vic falls. What I can say about these delay at the border have been addressed several time with top immigrations guys and are ready for August.

For Australians its $30 single and $45 double entry, you just need to call the Zim Embassy in Australia and they will ask you to send your passport and the money.

7 Timbarra Crescent, O’Malley

ACT, 2606

Australia

Telephone

+61 2 6286 2281

+61 2 6286 2303

+61 2 6286 2700

consular@zimembassycanberra.org.au

Philani Moyo –Owner & Shockwave Director

Reply to: Victoria Falls - BA Flight & Visa!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted