We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Victoria Falls in December?

Which Victoria Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, North...
Visiting Victoria Falls in December?

I'll be in Southern Africa in December 2012 and I'm thinking of visiting Victoria Falls, but I'm worried that the water levels may be too low. Has anyone visited the falls in December and would you recommend that I skip the falls on this journey and try to see them at some point in the future?

Victoria Falls...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Visiting Victoria Falls in December?

First thing to note is that the Falls from the Zimbabwean side never dries out and are impressive to see even at the height of the dry season (Oct). If one only gets to see the Falls from the Zambian side in the dry season then that is very dissapointing. Many overseas travellers are not aware of this and do go away dissappointed, when if they had only made the short crossing into Zimbabwe they would be delighted. The Falls from Zambia in the high water season are very impressive. Also the Falls seen from Livingstone island (Zambia) at any time of year are great.

You don't mention when in December you are travelling, which is quite important, because by December should be well into the rainy season and the Zambezi river will be rising daily, dependant on the rainfall in the immediate catchment area. By the end of December the white water rafting has normally moved to the high water run which is indicative that the water level are really quite high again.

The main floods come in about April/May when the water from the larger catchment basin upstream arrives.

In short.... 1) always worth it from the Zim side. 2) Early December water levels are lowish, mid to late December water level quite high

2. Re: Visiting Victoria Falls in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 16, 2013