We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Married at Victoria Falls

Which Victoria Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, TX
Getting Married at Victoria Falls

Hi,

Although it's over a year away, I am planning to get married at Victoria Falls sometime in the fall (fall season for US anyways) of 2013.

I have read many things online that anytime after July or August would be a good time to get married at Livingston Island due to low water levels.

While I am there I would like to take advantage of swimming in the Devil's Swimming Pool as well (which supposedly you can do from September to December, but again have read some have done in August).

What really is the best time of year to do both of these? I would like to know if I could get away with both some time in August and still have beautiful sights of the falls and decent weather. Any input from others that have recently visited this time of year? Thanks for your help!

Ashley

Ft. Worth, TX

Colorado
1. Re: Getting Married at Victoria Falls

Do keep in mind that there is a Maximum of 16 guests on the island at a time.

Summer (Mid August to end April) is generally hot to very hot and wet during the rainy season (Mid November to April). Average highs between 32-34°C (90-93°F) and average lows between 15-19°C (59-66°F)

Access to this unique island is seasonal and depends entirely on the water level in the Zambezi River. As weather is difficult to predict (especially these days) who can really say. All visits to the island are during the 'low water' season, which usually begins in mid July and goes through the end of January. So based on previous years the end of August should allow for you to check everything off your list.

The Devils Pool swim can only be done during the low season waters due to safety reasons. So the both should go quite well together if the weather holds to its yearly predictions.

Jeremy

Author - Victoria Falls: The Complete Destination Guide

Dallas, TX
2. Re: Getting Married at Victoria Falls

Thank you Jeremy :) Your answer was helpful!

Victoria Falls...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Getting Married at Victoria Falls

Hello Ashley

Historically the Devils swim only opens around the end of August, this is the date that they will predict in advance. However Livingstone Island normally opens around the 1st July.

So to be safe I would make you arrangements for around the middle to end of September. This is a phenomenal time of year. The water level at the Falls is just perfect so see its power but not to much spray. The temperatures are just right, as one gets in October it gets extremely hot.

There is almost 0% chance of rain to spoil your days, Game viewing is at its peak and many of the summer migrant birds have arrived for those keen birdwatchers. Really is one of the best times of year.

As Jeremiah has pointed out there is a maximum of 16 guest on the island at one time but you can book the whole island out privately for yourself. They do this often and the whole wedding can be arranged through them including paperwork and the blessing.

Denver, Colorado
4. Re: Getting Married at Victoria Falls

Ashley,

Sounds like a great idea to be married at Victoria Falls. My wife had I enjoyed this same experience in mid-September 2009. We too rented the entire island for our small wedding party. The food was nothing fancy and the cake was a bit hard after being defrosted, but was still wonderful. Although the jump following the wedding into devils pool was a bit scary, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Great photographs can be taken from the opposite side of the falls as well as at Royal Livingstone Hotel before your actual wedding. The photographer we hired from Livingstone did not have the best camera, so make sure you research this before your wedding.

As mentioned above, the wildlife viewing in Zambia is perfect during this time of the year, as there seems to be less water and the wildlife seems to come out in search of drinking water.

Good Luck!

Taree
5. Re: Getting Married at Victoria Falls

Hi Everyone,

My Fiancee and myself were looking at getting married whilst we are in Victoria Falls at end of August.It will be just be the two of us due us having are families in England and Australia so we are looking at eloping.Any information would be great as there doesnt seem to be a great deal online.Have emailed some places but awaiting replies.

Thanks in advance Tommy

reviews: 7
6. Re: Getting Married at Victoria Falls

Hotel rooms are sold out for October directly in town. Book now.

Manchester, United...
7. Re: Getting Married at Victoria Falls

Please could someone help with my quiries.

Me and my partner are lookin gto get married at Victoria Falls but we only want it to be us and our 2 children - do you know of anyone who we could discuss this with?

Thank you

Wayzata, Minnesota
reviews: 17
8. Re: Getting Married at Victoria Falls

Ashley,

Devil’s Pool opened around Aug 22 in 2012. This is a typical time. If you have a choice of September or October I suggest September and the earlier the better.

There is a MASSIVE conference in Victoria Falls during the second half of August 2013 and the area will be very crowded. September warms-up rapidly in the area around the Falls so I suggest September over October. October is the hottest month of the year. I was in Victoria Falls around September 20 and September 27 this past year (five months ago). Just the difference of seven days made a big difference in temperature as the 27th was much warmer than the 20th.

You could get married on the lawn at the Royal Livingston and then the catering (food and stuff) would be much better. This is the same place where the boats leave for the Island.

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond

2011 & 2012 Travel & Leisure A-List agent for Zimbabwe and Botswana

9. Re: Getting Married at Victoria Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 21, 2014