We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Harare to Vic falls by car....

Which Victoria Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Centurion, South...
Travel from Harare to Vic falls by car....

Hi

I'm looking to travel to Vic Falls by car in 1 day in December and was wondering what the best route? Google gives me the Kwekwe - Lupane route? Any other tips along the way would be most welcome.

thanks

Victoria Falls...
1. Re: Travel from Harare to Vic falls by car....

Hi

There really is only one route and that is through, Bulawayo. The shortcut from Kwekwe through to Lupane last time I did it was a very bad road, and was definitely not a shortcut, took longer than going all the way round. Harare to Vic Falls via Bulawayo is just over 900 kms and is all on good tar road and can be done in one day, 10 to 11 hours

Centurion, South...
2. Re: Travel from Harare to Vic falls by car....

Hi BooPeel

Thank you for the advice.

This somewhat alters our outlook and planning.

Can you please give me advice/tips on travelling from Nyange to Vic Falls. What is the best route e.g . Via Harare or Masvingo?

We're looking to stop over for a night en-route. Recommendations for a nice safe, clean, affordable and child friendly stop over? We have to <12 y.o. boys in the cars and dont want a riot in the car due to the excessive travelling!

thanks

Des

Victoria Falls...
3. Re: Travel from Harare to Vic falls by car....

Hi Des

From Nyanga go via Mutare, Mazvingo and Bulawayo on the A9, this is a good road. You can either stop over in Mazvingo or in Bulawayo.

Sounds like you are short of time but if you can spare the time Great Zimbabwe (just outside Mazvingo) is well worth a visit and there is a great place called Norma Jeans not far from the ruins themselves. This is too far off route if you are not going to the ruins though. I don't know of anywhere else in Mazvingo that I could recommend.

But in Bulawayo there are plenty of places to stay, including hotels like the Holiday inn. We always recommend a place called Granite Park, victoriafalls-guide.net/bulawayo-accommodati… it works very well for us, its clean, safe, affordable and child friendly, but there are plenty of other places and recommendations on this forum.

Centurion, South...
4. Re: Travel from Harare to Vic falls by car....

Hi Boopeel

Thanks for this advice.

The missus suggested Masvingo, but when her parent from Harare heard this, they nearly did a back-flip. They animatedly told me its too dangerous - peolpe are getting "hit " there all the time!!

will look at the Bulawayo forum for further advice ;-)

regards

Des

Hastings, United...
reviews: 76
5. Re: Travel from Harare to Vic falls by car....

Hi Dessibabba,

How did it go? We are going to be doing the Harare to Vic Falls in August, so it would be good to know your choice and how it went if you did it!

Rob

reviews: 6
6. Re: Travel from Harare to Vic falls by car....

@ Rob P

We went from Harare to Matopos NP and from there to Vic Falls October this year. Road was good tar. You can do it within one day, but you should start very early to make it during daytime. You have to realize that there is not much assistance in case of a car breakdown or anything alike.

There are numerous (>10, we stopped counting) police checkpoints. Police was correct and polite, but it takes time ...

Be sure to have the proper paperwork, especially the import permit with your (or any passengers) name on it, in case you are driving a non-ZIM car; anything else is asking for trouble ...

Stick to the speed limit, cause there are some speed traps (at least two between Bul. and Vic Falls; if you recognize them, it's too late ...).

We can recommend Matopos Hills NP for 2 to 3 nights, if you have time, but would go all the way to Vic Falls as well without hesitation.

Have fun.

London, United...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Travel from Harare to Vic falls by car....

I was out in Zim in September and was planning on doing the 1 day drive from Harare to Vic Falls.

Have doen it before and it is a LONG boring day, as you're basically driving on one road for 12 hours!

We changed our mind lat minute and booked ont eh path finder coach. Was fantastic

Think we paid about $80. THe first leg to Bulawayo is on a luxury coach. I was sceptical about what defines luxury in Zim, but it was absolutely fantastic. Big leather reclining seats with leg rests, free snacks and cans of drink.

Bulawayo to Vic falls was on what i class as a "normal" coach, but still much less hassle than driving, and takes about teh same amount of time!

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
reviews: 1
8. Re: Travel from Harare to Vic falls by car....

We stayed in Bulawayo at Garda Lodge based on the TA reviews and they were great. Close to everything, Matopos and the City and the Highway.

9. Re: Travel from Harare to Vic falls by car....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, December 17, 2013