We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about offending Zimbabweans

Grimsby, United...
reviews: 1
Worried about offending Zimbabweans

Hi,

I'm just sat here reading my travel guide in preperation for my three week holiday in Harare in a few months time, and I came across a bit that said about taking photo's. It said that Zimbabweans may ask for money to be photographed so it would be a good idea to take extra items such as soap, toothpaste or old t-shirts to exchange as gifts instead. I know this may be a very first-world way to look at it, but won't they be offended if I offered those things? Wouldn't it be like I was saying they smelled or had bad teeth or needed new clothes? I'd really appreciate it if there are any Zimbabweans on the forum, or people who have been in this situation who could give me advice on this matter - I really don't want to offend anyone :(

Thanks a lot,

Lucy x

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 27
1. Re: Worried about offending Zimbabweans

Not sure who wrote that book but is incorrect information. Like anywhere it would be best to ask for permission first before taking a picture but you don't need to carry a bag of good for this. You will be fine

Dhahran, Saudi...
2. Re: Worried about offending Zimbabweans

Lucy you should be fine, I dont think you will have a problem at all but just ask first. As with most countries do not take pictures at bus stops or next to any public / govt buildings or of any military or police these are the one things that you SHOULD NOT take pictures of. Zimbabwean people are very friendly and will be very accommodating! i hope you enjoy your trip as its a great country. just keep your wits about you like you would in any country and you will be grand!

Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 17
3. Re: Worried about offending Zimbabweans

Definitely do not give any items to people in exchange of taking pictures. It will create a very nasty habit of people begging for items to the next tourists that will pass by. Look at Egypt and you know enough...

Zimbabweans are very nice people and are always in for a chat. But the present habit there is you give something in exchange for something else. If you want to give something to the people (and they need a lot of basic things), buy a small souvenir in exchange for some dollars and items. For a picture, I would just ask permission, nothing more nothing less.

Enjoy the country and it's people!

Grimsby, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Worried about offending Zimbabweans

Thanks a lot for the replies, guys, I feel a lot better about it now as it was getting me worried :) I will simply ask them in advance if it is ok to take a picture :) xx

5. Re: Worried about offending Zimbabweans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 03, 2014