We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tunis / La Goulette cruise stop

Which Tunis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 50
Tunis / La Goulette cruise stop

I have just booked a cruise which is stopping at La Goulette for one day. I always try to avoid using cruise excursions and transfers as they are usually a rip off but I am thinking it might be the better option at this port. I am looking for advice on the following -

Getting to Tunis from the Port (and getting back)

Tips on what to do in Tunis

Advise on what the weather will be like in early Feb.

thanks

39 replies to this topic
Gosport, United...
reviews: 27
1. Re: Tunis / La Goulette cruise stop

You can take the metro to the City from La Goulette. Takes 15 minutes, and only one stop.

The Tunis metro station is basically at the end of the main thoroughfare (Ave Habib Bourguiba). The Tunis Medina and souqs are right at the other end, which is about a 30 minute walk. You might get a bit of 'hassle' as you enter the Medina. Just say "La Shukran" (no thanks!) if you're not interested. Don't barter unless you intend to buy, and if you do barter, have an idea about what you are prepared to pay, and make sure that your opening offer is well below what the trader initially asks. Once you've got through the touristy bits of the Medina the place gets quite interesting.

There's plenty to see along the way, with atmospheric cafes lining the Avenue. Plenty of inexpensive places to eat too, a good place is next to the Cafe du Paris, which is on the left. I think the restaurant is called Le Capitol, it's up a few stairs, quite smart place but you'll get a 3 course lunch for next to nowt, but it's not licenced for alcohol. A place right below it is though, and is a bit more expensive.

If you can find the indoor food market it's a great place to browse.

You can also take the metro from La Goulette in the opposite direction and visit Sidi Bou Said, which takes about 20 minutes. Very pretty, but it'll probably be mobbed by tour groups off your ship! See...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g316117-i11348-k…

Carthage is also v.close to La Goulette, but you'll need to do a bit of homework first to work out where you what sites you want to visit.

It rains a lot in Tunis and could be chilly in February, so be prepared.

Edited: 2:20 am, December 13, 2012
Djerba Island...
2. Re: Tunis / La Goulette cruise stop

Hi Biztraveller 7, hello everyone.

Welcome to Tunisia,I hope that you'll enjoy your short visit to Tunis and it's suburbs.

Assuming that you're an independant traveller,and following the suggestions given to you above,thanks to Lancaster Lad.

You have other options to enjoy your stop at La Goulette depending on your budget and main interests.

The cheapest way is to take the T.G.M electric train to go to Tunis and to Carthage,Sidi bou Said.The station is in walking distance from La Goulette cruise port's main gate.Therefore due to the time constraints of ship stop you may not have enough time to visit of the must see.Time is money isn't it ?

The other option is ti hire a yellow taxi cab,there'll be a lot of them out of the port . unfortunatly they'll hassle you.So you decide to use one I suggest that you agree on the price in advance.

According to my experience based on the cruise ship guests feed back it's better to use a private day tour since you have a bad opinion about the cruise shore excursion.

Happy sailing,enjoy your cruise.

Ben

Ventura, California
reviews: 188
3. Re: Tunis / La Goulette cruise stop

We booked the all day tour on our MSC cruise in Sept 2012 of Tunis/La Goulette, and we were glad we did! We had an excellent guide and we saw the highlights without hassling with local transportation, since the port is not walking distance to anything. The Bardo Museum is a must see-we walked around on our own rather than sticking with the guide which was no problem, we just had to be back on the bus on time. The tour included Carthage, Roman baths, and the souk-all fascinating and worthwhile. A half day tour would have been too rushed for all that we saw. Our tour included an excellent Tunisian buffet lunch complete with a local rose' wine. We felt it was a good value, and highly recommend using an excursion at this port. If I can travel independently at ports, I will, but I would book a cruise excursion again at this particular port-too much to see and too scattered.

Beijing
reviews: 2
4. Re: Tunis / La Goulette cruise stop

Hi, I am also cruising with MSC later this year, is the renovation at Bardo museum completed? The entrance fees to Bardo museum should be covered in their shore excursion prices?

I do feel ripped off in the sense that they start charging small toddlers above 2 (not the usual 4)!

Thanks!

Australia
reviews: 34
5. Re: Tunis / La Goulette cruise stop

I have just read your review of Tunis with great interest.

We are also cruising on the MSC cruise line and stopping for one day in La Goulette.

we have been to Morocco and the pictures look quite similar.

You mentioned that you would recommend taking the tour from the Ship - we usually try to do our own thing instead of the cruise ship tours as they are usually very overpriced.

I don't suppose you could remember 'approximately' how much the day tour would have cost?

Are there any private taxis etc on the port that would do a similar tour.

Anyway, any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Noeleen (from Australia)

Edited: 8:15 pm, January 28, 2013
Beijing
reviews: 2
6. Re: Tunis / La Goulette cruise stop

The shore excursions prices range between US$65 to $100+ per adult. There are three day excursions (those costing above $100) that are only for MSC Preziosa which is docked at Tunis for the day.

I think you can check the € prices on the official site if you already received your booking number.

You can get local taxis at both inside the port terminal and outside (less desirable) of the port terminal. Those inside usually display a cardboard with price ranging from €40 to €80, depending on the number passengers and locations (usually choose from Carthage, Sid, Medina and Bardo).

If you move over to TA's cruises forum or cruisecritic's port of call and do a search, there are more discussions on getting a local taxi. Most advise against taking taxi outside of the cruise terminal and if budget permitting, book a private tour.

Edited: 12:56 am, January 29, 2013
Australia
reviews: 34
7. Re: Tunis / La Goulette cruise stop

Thank you for that information - it was very helpful

Djerba Island...
8. Re: Tunis / La Goulette cruise stop

Hi St H.Beijin & nlh Australia,hello everyone.

Welcome in Tunisia,I hope that you'll find the most approriate way to enjoy your visit depending on your interests and budget as you have several choices.

Regarding the Bardo museum,it's completly renovated and all the departements are open to the public since July 25th,2012.Note that the museum is closed on Mondays.

If you take a private tour,or the cruise shore excursion,the entrance fee is included in the rate.

Happy sailing,enjoy your cruise.

Ben

Salt Lake City, Utah
reviews: 63
9. Re: Tunis / La Goulette cruise stop

I’m posting this same review on several message boards regarding Tunisia. I wanted to share the wonderful experience we had in Tunisia, with our guide, Ben Jebara (full name, Mohamed Taher Ben Jebara). You can contact Ben at travelexperttunisia@gmail.com. We were in Tunis on November 28, 2012. We are frequent cruisers and we prefer finding local guides to explore ports instead of using the shore excursions offered by the ship. We found Ben through Trip Advisor. His prices were fair. We had 8 people in our group. We met Ben outside of the port area at the Oil Libya gas station (Just keep walking down the sidewalk, out of the port and after several blocks you’ll run in to the gas station. Ben will be around there somewhere waiting for you and watching for you. He and his driver were parked just past Oil Libya, but, he saw as coming and came out to greet us.) You’ll pass many taxi drivers who aggressively request your business – but, just tell them you’ve already arranged a tour and “no thank you.” We were in a van that accommodated our group. Ben knows his history about Tunisia. He was very knowledgeable. He took us to the Carthage sites and the Bardo Museum. You could spend all day in the museum, but, we hurried him along – too much to do too little time. We went to The American Cemetery, the final resting place of our World War II soldiers that lost their lives fighting in Northern Africa. We went to the quaint city of Sidi Bou Said and stopped for a cold drink at a sidewalk café across the street from a mosque. We then drove to Tunis where we ate lunch and sampled traditional Tunisian food. After lunch we took a walk in the Souk. We were in a hurry so we did a lot of looking. If we had more time it would have been fun to explore the Souk and buy souvenirs. Ben stayed in Tunis and sent us back to the ship with our driver. We got back to the ship about ½ hour before we needed to board. We had a wonderful day and were glad we had used Ben as our guide.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 58
10. Re: Tunis / La Goulette cruise stop

May i ask how long was your tour and what it cost

Going in fall

Reply to: Tunis / La Goulette cruise stop
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted