We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Tunis airport to the city

Which Tunis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
72 posts
51 reviews
Taxi from Tunis airport to the city

Guide books and forum postings suggest that taxis from the airport into Tunis can be a total rip-off. Given that one's first impression of a country is getting to a hotel at a reasonable price what advice do the local experts have? I suspect complaining to the tourist board will have little effect since they are probably in the pockets of the taxi owners.

Djerba Island...
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
1. Re: Taxi from Tunis airport to the city

Hi John, hello everyone.

According to my humble opinion,to contribute in stopping these taxi driver's behavior which I agree may give a bad impression about the crountry,becaue hopefully not all the taxi drivers are not reliable.

** To avoid such problem,I suggest that the wise traveler book your transfer in advance through a reliable service provider such as the local Travel Agencies,or your Tour operator.

There are plenty of web sites which offer such service and enable you to book on line.

Thought their prices might look high especially if it's an indiviual transfer,but they're reasonable if you don't mind using a shared transfer.

Regarding your statement related to the Tourist board,I won't argue about your opinion,but still if you notice such rip-off at the airport or any where else in Tunisia,

Tuinisia will be grateful to you if you have time to make a record of the taxi number,the time and the place then report it to the nearest Tourism office, to your Tunisian Tour Guide,your T.O. Rep ( supposing you have one ).

You may call the Touristic police , their number is available at your hotel desk .

Welcome to Tunisia.Have a nice stay.

Ben

Dorking, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: Taxi from Tunis airport to the city

the Airport taxi bandits will tell you a taxi to the Sheraton hotel is 20 dinars. It's not - its 5 Dinars - max I had the same BS in Moroco

London
Level Contributor
7,511 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Taxi from Tunis airport to the city

Another trick travelman is they say its 5 or 10 or whatever then try and say they meant euros - but afraid airport taxi drivers tend to be same world over.

4. Re: Taxi from Tunis airport to the city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 22, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Tunis