We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Needed for Serengeti Visit

Clonmel, Ireland
Help Needed for Serengeti Visit

Hi,

I am a solo traveller, travelling north from Dar es Salaam to do a day-trip to the first hut on Kilimanjaro on August 19th. After that I am hoping to visit the Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater and Lake Manyara (can drop Lake Manyara from itinerary if necessary). My preferred option for this would be to join a tour group. I have found lots of tour/safari operators that go to these places but due to time and budget constraints, I cannot seem to find an option that suits.

I must be back in Arusha on the 23rd in order to make it to my next destination and yes, I know I'm pushing it but I only have a budget of approx 900USD.

Any advice for a desperate traveller???

Also, is it allowed/safe to self drive and would this be cheaper?

nyc
1. Re: Help Needed for Serengeti Visit

You only have 3/days.

Forget self-drive for sure.

And, honestly... that budget it tight, though a group departure might be able to accommodate.

That said, seems there are many solo travelers out there who are simply having trouble finding a company who does 'group' departures and whether even to the areas you wish to visit.

Yes, there are budget travelers/backpackers that do have the time to run around Arusha to find a 'group' operator, but you don't. And, to try to do on your own, even if just a visit to Manyara and Ngorongoro which is really all you have time for... budget won't do it.

.... and this doesn't even include the trek to Hut line at Kili.

Note: Just to get to the Serengeti, if NOT flying, takes a day each for drive to and from.

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 199
2. Re: Help Needed for Serengeti Visit

You are out of luck Tom.

Crater fee is $100, NP $50 a toot.

You need to join a group of forget it.

Clonmel, Ireland
3. Re: Help Needed for Serengeti Visit

Thanks Guys - much as I expected really!

4sandi - apologies if my message wasn't clear but I already have the trip to the hut line in Kili sorted and paid for. That was just for some background info. It's the trip to Serengeti and Ngorongoro that I really want to do in that time/budget.

I do still have some options but they're very expensive. I guess a meeting with my friendly Bank Manager is the only way now :-(

Anyway, thanks again!

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 199
4. Re: Help Needed for Serengeti Visit

<my friendly Bank Manager>

Do they still have these in Clonmel? How quaint! Mine is a recorded voice on the telephone.

5. Re: Help Needed for Serengeti Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 21, 2013