We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More first timer questions

Which Dar es Salaam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Augusta
reviews: 27
More first timer questions

Hello again.

A few more "first timer" questions.

Are the ferries from the Slipway to Bongoyo Island something I can catch throughout the day, or is it more of a full day activity? Say if I got there at 2pm, would it make sense to go for a few hours, until 6 or 7?

Does the Ferry from Dar to Zanzibar also leave from the Slipway? Or is this a different port.

If I am taking the ferry from Dar to Zanzibar, is there a place to store luggage? Is my luggage safe?

Has anyone some information on an orphanage in Dar? We have some things we want to bring children.

Thanks for all your help.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
reviews: 6
1. Re: More first timer questions

I am not certain that there are ferries at Slipway, the only thing I've seen there are small boats.

The ferry port is quite a ways from Slipway, and this is where you get the ferry from the mainland to Zanzibar. It's at the harbor, any taxi will get you there.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
2. Re: More first timer questions

If you were looking for a specific address of the Ferry dock, it's just off Sokoine Road across from St. Joseph's cathedral. You can't miss it.,

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
reviews: 1
3. Re: More first timer questions

It has been a while since I've taken the ferry, but the last time I did it, there were a lot of people trying to help with my luggage. They want money of course. If you let them take your bag it will be on the boat in a few seconds. Carrying it yourself is also possible and if not too big should be a reasonable option. I remember they just piled all the bags/luggage in a corner and then you'd grab it again on the way out. Again, many people anxiously waiting on the other side hoping that you'll let them carry your bag.

No security for the bags, but if you wanted to sit close to your bag and stare at it for a couple of hours, you could do that.

That was my experience last time I was on the ferry. But there are different ferry companies and different types of ferries so I'm sure this experience varies.

I've been to an orphanage in Dar but can't remember the name of it and don't know the names of any others. Sorry.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
4. Re: More first timer questions

There are many orphanages in Dar, it's a city of 3 million people. One that I know of and know that it does good work is the Muslim Charity Hospital in the Mosque Street/Libya Street area. You will see an ambulance parked outside. This is a free hospital and they have a nursery school and I think they had an orphanage there also. I've always tried to help any way I could as they do wonderful work there.

5. Re: More first timer questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, October 02, 2012