We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with a 6-hour layover at Dar airport?

Which Dar es Salaam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, CO
reviews: 58
What to do with a 6-hour layover at Dar airport?

We are a family of four with two kids, 16 & 12, who will arrive from Kilimanjaro airport into DAR at 9:00 am on a Saturday in June, with a 3:30 pm departure that afternoon for Johannesburg. Is there anything we can do during that time while ensuring we are back at the airport in plenty of time for our flight? I've heard traffic into the city is horrendous. Are we better off just bringing a good, long book?

Zanzibar
1. Re: What to do with a 6-hour layover at Dar airport?

I think will have a plenty of time and kids will be bored to stay at Airport.

Reporting time for your flight will be 1.30 pm and there is no problem of traffic in Dar on Saturdays and Sundays only problem of these traffics is on working days.

Take them to Slipway beach front where by will have alot of things to enjoy and some sort of activities and leave there by 1.00.

Or can do highlight of Dar City Tour

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Boulder, CO
reviews: 58
2. Re: What to do with a 6-hour layover at Dar airport?

Thank you so much! The beach sounds great - we could just take a taxi, right? And regarding a city tour - how would we find one of those? Appreciate your reply.

Scotland
reviews: 18
3. Re: What to do with a 6-hour layover at Dar airport?

There is absolutely nothing to do in Dar air port. We arrived hours early due to the timing of our taxi. We went through security into the building, a lot of the airport is outside, just under cover, and had to ask to get out again as we were too early to check in to get through to the departure lounge. Once outside again there are not many seats, only one small supermarket but there was a restaurant up a stairs and we went there and spent a few hours eating and drinking away our last Tanzanian Shillings.

I would not regard 16 and 12 as kids though, they are not going to be running around and unable to amuse themselves, but I would still leave it as late as possible getting to the airport.

Zanzibar
4. Re: What to do with a 6-hour layover at Dar airport?

To Slipway have to take a Taxi.

But the Dar City Tour must be organised by Tour Operator.So you can place this order to the Tour Operator who organized the rest of your trip because they must have link in Coastal Sector.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
reviews: 1
5. Re: What to do with a 6-hour layover at Dar airport?

In the Dar airport there are also several kiosks run by tour operators. Two reasons to mention this:

(1) You can leave your luggage with them. I did that recently. Just paid them about 10 dollars or something like that (Yes, I'm sure I could have negotiated even less. Whatever.) They gave me a receipt and they held my luggage until I returned. No problems nothing stolen.

(2) I'm sure one of them could arrange a town tour for you. (You could probably then get them to hold your luggage for free.)

I was there with a 2 and 4 year old with about 6 hours to spare. I wanted to go to town for dinner but I was out-voted by my wife. Seems like I always lose the votes. How does that happen? Something unfair is happening. So we had dinner at the one restaurant there - a buffet for about 15,000 Tsh each which is only about $10 but frankly in Tanzania is on the high side. But it is an airport. No matter, the food was average.

6. Re: What to do with a 6-hour layover at Dar airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, April 05, 2011
7. Re: What to do with a 6-hour layover at Dar airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 pm, October 25, 2012